Featured Post

I’m not an Atheist or a Religious Rationalist

But I have a hard time making a firm commitment on “religion.”

I know I’ll disappoint some of my skeptically minded friends by noting my hopeful agnosticism weighs in the direction of theism and universalism.

What I understand as “rationalism” is what man’s reason discovers pursuant to the laws of evidence, empiricism, objective rules of logic and fallacies. 2+2=4. A is A.

Thomas Aquinas and philosophers who followed in the philosophic tradition of “classical theism” (like Samuel Clarke) held that man could reason his way to “God.” (Ed Feser, in my opinion, does a notable job at defending the philosophical basis for classical theism.)

Even if we accept that man can reason his way to something above him (let’s call it “suprarational” in the same way that animals are “subrational”; or perhaps something(s) merely “rational,” but more advanced, like aliens) given what we currently know, reason cannot and will not lead to specific ultimate truth answers. And the different religions teach or tend to teach the need for belief in those specific places.

But maybe later we will learn more (hence the importance of the philosophical way of life, and to keep one’s mind open).

So for example, at the funeral of my beloved late paternal grandmother, who was agnostic or nominally religious for most of her life, only to return to Roman Catholicism after being diagnosed with terminal cancer (my other beloved maternal grandmother was a cradle to grave devout Roman Catholic, with a gentle but unshakable faith) the Monsignor inquired as to why “we” (my immediate family) weren’t practicing Catholics in good standing with the Church.

A contrarian, I replied something like “maybe I like what the Protestants teach better.” I was 18 and the Monsignor already in old age, of course had an answer (paraphrasing): “You shouldn’t be looking for what you ‘like,’ but the truth … and the Roman Catholic Church teaches the truth; the Protestants do not.”

The philosopher in me, of course, respects the Monsignor’s admonition to look for the “truth.” However, I was not and am not convinced he arrived at the proper destination. Though I do concede or at least believe the place he (as with my two grandmothers) arrived was “in good faith.” Therefore, I can’t imagine a just God or whatever holding it against them.

So, even if we concede — and it’s a big concession — certain “theistic” or “Christian” common denominators, the different particular sects tend to demand arrival at their specific destination. This is why I believe Pascal’s Wager is refuted. I know of a great deal of Protestant fundamentalists who would damn Roman Catholics qua Roman Catholics to Hell. Just as Muslim fundamentalists damn non-Muslims. And some Roman Catholics too (though hopeful universalism seems to have taken hold in conservative Roman Catholic circles) damn all non-Catholics. So it’s not just about choosing between belief and non-belief, but choosing the correct one among numerous doors.

How to tell which door? That’s something to which “rationalism” can’t answer. If you examine the debates between and among the different religious sects, one sees they can be quite rationalistic in how they argue. They must grapple with a vast knowledge of religious texts and historical understanding of such. And they must synthesize that data through the rules of logic and so on.

If they make blatant logical fallacies, misstate facts, or otherwise seem not aware of pertinent facts, their opponents will call them out and potentially make them look like buffoons. And indeed ignorant buffoons abound in abundance.

And, whether they argue their case well, they invariably use objectively sounding language like “I have refuted my opponents points and proven that Roman Catholicism is false, Calvinism true.” Now, maybe the Roman Catholic really did lose the debate. Maybe the Mormon won. The truth is what it is regardless of whether its advocates well argue the case.

(A sophist with a lie can beat a Forrest Gump with the truth according to the strict rules of “rationalism.”)

But we could narrow our look at what “the best” have to offer. We can view multiple live performances and examine their multiple written words. I confess, over the pass decade I’ve done a great deal of this, taking seriously religious arguments many of my skeptically mind friends do not. Closely watching the debates.

Here is what I have found: The folks who believe in traditional Christianity (i.e., Roman Catholics v. Protestants v. capital O Orthodox; 5 Point Calvinists v. Arminians who deny all 5 of those points, and on and on) cannot refute one another on rationalistic grounds (in terms of “we prove our conclusion” and so on). Regarding those “supernaturally” inspired books, supposedly “revealed” in a “God speaking to man” sense (which books belong in a “canon”) rational argument can’t settle which ones authentic (belonging in the “canon”) which not (that don’t). (How many books are there in the Bible? 66? 73? Or some other number?)

Rationalism is important in one sense: To test. If someone says “the Bible teaches that a giant Giraffe temps man in the Book of Genesis,” rationalism says no, it wasn’t a Giraffe, but rather a snake or some kind of serpent. Rationalism can also observe such things as “you have made a non-sequitur, your conclusion does not necessarily follow from the facts presented.” For example, if Jesus’ body was seemingly deceased but then disappeared, it doesn’t necessarily follow that he was an Incarnate God. He could have been an advanced, created Being. Or something else.

But still, some assumed truth can at a general level appear to meet rationalism’s tests. And once so apparently meeting, there is no one necessary place where such truth specifically terminates. Rather all sorts of different, incompatible, contradictory truths that apparently meet the test of rationalism (or certain shared assumed premises) can presently argue one another to Mexican Standoffs.

Roman Catholics can’t refute the reformed Protestants, who can’t refute the capital O Orthodox Christians and all of them, vice versa between and among themselves. But they aren’t the only ones. There are lots of others who we could add to the bunch.

Likewise, an advancement in discovery of knowledge can change the rules of the game. (The “game changers.”) Think about places in the past when knowledge of later discovered truths weren’t known. How does one believe in E=MC squared if it hasn’t yet been discovered? Before it was discovered such a truth was in “black box.” So I endorse belief in “black boxes.” Black boxes as “gaps.” As in “God of the gaps.” Or “aliens of the gaps.” Or “atheism of the gaps.” And so on.

Later I will elaborate more on the concept of mysticism. That when rationalism hits a wall, mysticism can perhaps transcend.

Please do be so kind as to share this post.

86 thoughts on “I’m not an Atheist or a Religious Rationalist

1. I think you need to keep in mind that logic and reason are only tools. Like a calculator. If your goal is truth a calculator is a fine tool. It is also a fine tool if your goal is to cheat on your taxes.

Quote  Link

2. I’ve never given much thought to god. As one religious person said, it’s about faith. Well, I ain’t never had it, but I’ll damn well respect those who do, assuming they aren’t just phoning it in. In general, I have tried to live a life that was filled with morality and honor. I’ve not always succeeded, but, should god exist, and I’m to be judged, so be it. I’ll not shirk from that.

3. Jon,

As an agnostic who leans toward (something like but also unlike Christian*) theism, I look forward to reading your future thoughts on the subject.

At first glance, I think I share your views about the limits of rationalism, assuming I understand correctly what you’re saying. I’m a big fan of C. S. Lewis, even though he has a lot more, er, faith in rationalism than I do. I will say that his “rationalist” arguments tend to be for me the least convincing aspects of his aplogetics. What I do like is that what he writes seems to resonate on a certain level once one gets passed his “trilemma” and his literary-historical proofs for the gospel’s authenticity.

/rambling

*I’m leaning toward believing in something that I’d call the “grace principle,” which Christians, for example, would call “Christ,” and some Buddhists would call “Enlightenment,” and believers in other traditions would call something else. That’s a sort of universalism–whether it’s the type you lean toward or not, I don’t know. And there are a lot of problems with my leanings. For example, I could, presumably, read something like a “grace principle” into almost any religious or even non-religious text, but there’s always the possibility that I’m forcing that interpretation onto a tradition where it doesn’t fit or is only one of several possibilities.

Quote  Link

4. I appreciate this post, I figured I would let you know!

I do find the idea of a “god of the gaps” kind of silly, however. This idea presumes that god and knowledge are mutually exclusive, which is an absurd premise. It also, presuming that knowledge is finite, concludes that any such god is perpetually diminished, which strikes me as an absurd conclusion.

I also don’t think that something like E=mc^2 is “discovered” so much as this is a synthesis of already existing observations that allows for clearer communication – like, if you were to say something along the lines of:

“Frogs move. Frogs feed on organic matter. Frogs are comprised of many nucleated cells that have mitochondria.”

and Einstein responded with: “Frogs are animals.”

I agree with commenter above that logic and reason are tools, much like math and statistics. It remains to be explored whether or not logic and reason are tools that apply only to the human condition or whether they are universal, as math and statistics seem to be.

Quote  Link

5. I’ve read and heard quite a bit of theistic reasoning and a lot of theodicies. They often stand tolerably well in the realm of the strictly philosophical but have certain glaring weaknesses.

-First and foremost none of the theodicies I’ve heard can attach to any of the actual functioning religions and faiths that operate today. The God they can logically defend is not the God that working religion prays to. Interestingly it seems like the Catholics seem to be aware of this on some level as they seem to be trying to sidle or inch incrementally in that direction.

-Second, and practically, the God that can be philosophically defended is strictly supernatural or outside of observable nature and his only logical there fore’s are similarly mental and esoteric. This presents a serious problem, again, for working religions because working religions make significant temporal and material claims and demands on the faithful.

So when a theist rolls up and proclaims “God exists!” I’ll nod somberly and say “Okay, assuming you’re right- so what?” If the theist replies:
    “God loves you, so you should strive to be kind to yourself, the world around you and your fellow human beings.” or some such similar spiritual stuff I can admit that the theist is standing on tolerably concrete philosophical grounds.
    But if the theist says:
    “God loves you and we have a direct line to his desires for how the world works and you should do physical thing X, physical thing Y and contribute financial thing Z.. oh and you are forbidden to do physical things A,B and especially C.” Those are some extraordinary claims with no logical hitch that holds them to a philosophically defensible god and I tend to dismiss them as a nutbar.

God may exist, but if he does his existence holds very few natural implications for our material world or material actions.

6. Damon:
    I’ve never given much thought to god.As one religious person said, it’s about faith.Well, I ain’t never had it, but I’ll damn well respect those who do, assuming they aren’t just phoning it in.In general, I have tried to live a life that was filled with morality and honor.I’ve not always succeeded, but, should god exist, and I’m to be judged, so be it.I’ll not shirk from that.

Why would you respect faith? I think faith is epistemological madness that has corrupted any religion that requires it. I cannot logically prove that there does not exist a god that requires faith. I can say that if such a god exists he can kiss my a–.

Quote  Link

• Because if someone has a true, honest, real faith in a higher being, and is living their life according to that faith, I will respect them for taking that path. I may disagree with it, but I will not belittle their faith or their actions. Now, if I find out the are a hypocrite, that’s another story.

All people are due a certain level of respect, until they earn the loss of it.

Quote  Link

• Depends on how this person goes about it.
          If he’s “Smite the infidel at the point of the sword” then you resist them with force and word.
          If he’s “Smite the infidel with intricately crafted arguments” then you rebut him with words and reason alone.
          If he’s “Smite the infidel with relentless pamphlets and earnest sermons” then you turn off the lights and pretend you’re not home while rolling your eyes.

Quote  Link

• Is this scenario in the US or outside of it? “Cause if it’s outside of it, I really don’t give a damn. Other countries are free to order their society however they so choose.

If it’s here, I’m really not seeing people being forced into certain religious organizations against their will.

Quote  Link

• The question isn’t is someone being forced into faith. The question isn’t even about respecting a persons right to faith. The question is is honest faith in itself worthy of respect.

I say faith is epistemological madness that will degrade anything that it attaches to. I would also defend a persons right to their faith.

Quote  Link

• I’d say honest genuine faith is worthy of a certain base level of respect. You can respect a persons’ faith while doing absolutely everything you morally can to prevent it from spreading and to try and roll it back. Hell, my personal experience says you’ll be much effective at fighting it if you do so.

Quote  Link

• Faith is, for the lack of a better word, evil. I can treat a person of faith with respect simply because they are human. I’m certainly not going to follow them around heckling their epistemological choices. But the respect they get is disconnected from the fact of their faith. It gets them no extra cookies.

Quote  Link

• It isn’t a point of faith so much as an aesthetic choice partly rooted in utilitarianism and partly rooted in a desire to know truth. Faith corrupts and destabilizes anything it touches.

As I said above I cannot disprove the existence of a god that requires our evidence free faith. I can say that if he exists I will oppose him as I would the devil.

Quote  Link

• I don’t believe in belief. I would rather talk about evidence. The problem with free will is that it isn’t even defined well enough for there to be any evidence. There is no proposed mechanism nor any way to measure free will assuming it exists. Is the universe deterministic? No but it isn’t clear how that helps. Is free will compatible with determinism? I would say no and suggest attempts to make it so is a silly word game.

The central mystery isn’t free will anyway. The central mystery is the fact of experience itself.

Quote  Link

• Fair enough. The reason i asked is many who point to faith as a mark against religion (which includes almost every agnostic or atheist I know) seem to give it a pass as they declare their belief in free will. When challenged, they quickly like to change the subject, as their belief in free will is somehow out of bounds. I don’t know the answer either, but I do like to point out that particular inconsistency, if for no other reason that its a great way to get someone who claims to have no faith to accept that maybe they do.

Quote  Link

• My experience is that atheists are far more likely to deny free will. I don’t do that either. Until a testable well defined question is asked the question isn’t ripe.

I also don’t use the word “agnostic” although technically I am one. But I’m agnostic about santa clause in the same way that I am agnostic about god. Technically you cannot know anything with absolute certainty but at some point you stop sweating the details.

Quote  Link

7. Jon isn’t alone in his difficulty.

There actually is wide ranging debate within the non-fundamentalist Christian world about the universality of belief and the ability of us to grasp it or make sense of it. Specifically the Pew poll showing the decline of mainline religions has prompted a lot of soul searching and debate.

I’m taking religion classes currently, and one of the people we have been discussing is Phyllis Tickle who has advanced an idea that every 500 years or so there is a major upheaval in the Christian religious world leading to a schism and realignment and that we are witnessing it now.

Richard Rohr has done a lot of amazing writing about nonlinear Christian theology, and Diana Butler Bass has written about spirituality without religion, specifically about the younger generations who don’t have an attraction to formal religion but feel a desire for transcendence.

Tickle especially has been very pointed, challenging the Christian religions by asserting that they can’t really offer a coherent set of thoughts about their own religion- they can’t convincingly explain what a person is, what a soul is, or what Jesus was atoning for or how it worked.

One of the ideas that all of these people have put forward is that science has both challenged and confirmed certain religious ideas.
    While the old understanding of the physical universe was demolished by Newtonian physics, modern quantum physics has shown the world to be a radically stranger and non-linear lace than imagined. The Trinitarian idea that things can be and not be simultaneously may very well be true for example.

I don’t have it all sorted out myself, but there is definitely something going on, where more than a few people are wrestling with these thoughts.

Quote  Link

• The whole Jesus sacrifice simply sounds like a pathetic loophole to me.

Either is justice to turn me over to eternal torment (or whatever. Christianity has an internal debate going on here) or it isn’t.

Putting an aspect of yourself (or a third party) through 3 days of the torment doesn’t change that.

If you want to offer someone mercy/grace you can just do it. Punishing an innocent person before accepting a person’s sincere repentence is monstrous.

I have been expecting no after-life for decades now. Doesn’t make life meaningless to me.

It certainly doesn’t take anything from the joy I feel while watching my son giggle and smile.

8. Chris:
    Yeah, you’re still not to Pascal yet. First, he’s not having a conversation with you, your doubt is too great.

This is interesting (to me, anyway). So could one say that Pascal’s wager is intended for those who already believe? As in, “Ok, so you’ve decided that you believe in God. Now, which god is it that you believe in?”