Sunday!

Jaybird

1. Avatar Will Truman

Finishing up Asimov’s Pebble in the Sky. After that, either another Asimov or I might move to some podcasts about the French Revolution. Probably another Asimov.

I finished Revenge, which was ridiculous but nonetheless fun. I cannot think of another TV show where a protagonist got a happy ending they so clearly did not deserve.

Still working on Flash/Arrow. It’s been a bit stalled, but hoping to get moving on that again. After which… Gotham, maybe? I used Fortitude to test the new TV set and my interest in it is again renewed, though there is still so much from last TV season I need to watch. And… accents.Report

• Avatar Mike Schilling in reply to Will Truman

By the way, I’m about halfway through a reread of Psychohistorical Crisis, an unauthorized sequel to the Foundation books, set much later during the Second Empire. It’s more a read than a reread, since I remembered almost nothing about it. I’d definitely recommend it.

If you’re sticking to Asimov proper, have you read The End of Eternity or The Gods Themselves? Both excellent. And skip The Stars Like Dust. Everyone including Asimov agrees that it’s horrific.Report

2. Avatar Murali

I just finished watching the national day parade. It’s I think one of if not the best I’ve seen so far.Report

3. Avatar aarondavid

I started reading Darkmans

Holy Cow is it good, and I try to give a synopsis here, but it is so much that this little space just do it. No, its because you are too stupid, turnip

Oh, you are here… Well, there goes this writi…Report

4. Avatar CK MacLeod

Almost done with POLITICAL ORDER AND POLITICAL DECAY. Looking forward to the TRUE DETECTIVE finale this evening. Searching for something to watch earlier this week, I hit JONATHAN STRANGE & MR NORRELL on BBC America. Had been meaning to check it out, and have found it quite diverting – now up to episode 5.

I wish someone had tipped me off to DEUTSCHLAND 83 when it was premiering. Am reluctant to start it midway, so will have to wait for a re-start or marathon or something.Report

• Avatar Tod Kelly in reply to CK MacLeod

I really liked BBC’s Strange & Norell, and I found the book tedious.Report

• Avatar Glyph in reply to Tod Kelly

Hey, someone else who didn’t care for the book! I also found the book a slog.Report

• Avatar CK MacLeod in reply to Glyph

Never got around to the book, though often meant to do so. Have a feeling if I had more time on my hands (not being spent watching trash TV, for example), I might enjoy it if it evokes the British fiction of and about that approximate period. The odd breaks – fade outs and ins for I think commercials or other interruptions – are distracting, and occasionally the production values slip and start feeling like old BBC rather than nouveau cinematic TV, but it still works for me. I am also quite with “The Gentleman” as to Mrs. Strange and do hope she makes out alright in the end! No spoilers, Kelly!Report

• Avatar Stillwater in reply to Glyph

I am intrigued by a book that has (apparently) 200 fictitious footnotes. That’s not nothin.Report

5. Avatar Jaybird

Guys. We might be in a commercial.

I watched the yahoo fantasy football commercial before the movie and the guy held up his phone and, smack dab in the middle of it, I saw “league of ordinary gentlemen”.

Dude.

That was seriously weird.Report

6. Avatar aarondavid

Was he a bowling fan?Report

7. Avatar Jaybird

Mission Impossible Review:
    I pretty much nailed it above, but I have a musing about the whole “Conspiracy” thing.

The idea of a Conspiracy that is so deep, so well-hidden, so well-funded, and so competent that it is capable of terrorist acts that look like accidents or incompetence or acts of God that can only be fought by another one that is only slightly less deep, slightly less well-hidden, and approximately equally well-funded is something that I’m noticing more and more these days.

Are there more of these things around than there used to be or am I just now seeing the fnords?Report

8. Avatar Maribou

Trainwreck positives: Amy Schumer is funny, adorable, hot, and ever so likable, and large parts of the movie were funny as hell. John Cena was unexpectedly hilarious (and I say that as someone who watches wrestling). The subplot about her dad was bracing, touching, and – weirdly enough – reassuring (because my dad is so very much worse than that, which provided a needed bit of reinforcement of the evergreen realization that yes, my childhood really was *that* fucked up, and yes, it really does make sense to have cut him out of my life).

Trainwreck negatives: THE PLOT WAS EVEN MORE ANNOYING THAN JAYBIRD PREDICTED. BRAIN-HURTINGLY ANNOYING. FACE-PUNCHINGLY ANNOYING. Which I blame more on our culture than on the individuals involved because, you know, it’s the sort of plot that society-at-large eats up with a spoon, but which makes me so uncomfortable that I end up feeling kind of sad and alienated. Also, less importantly, I do not find Bill Hader attractive *at all*. Which in a different kind of movie wouldn’t even matter, but in a romantic comedy, I prefer to swoon at least a *little* over both the leads.Report