A Taste Of The Life Of A Practicing Lawyer

Burt Likko

Pseudonymous Portlander. Homebrewer. Atheist. Recovering Republican. Recovering Catholic. Recovering divorcé. Editor-in-Chief Emeritus of Ordinary Times. Relapsed Lawyer, admitted to practice law (under his real name) in California and Oregon. On Twitter, to his frequent regret, at @burtlikko. House Likko's Words: Scite Verum. Colite Iusticia. Vivere Con Gaudium.

1. Avatar nevermoor says:

You need to hire someone to do it for you. Profit center!Report

• Avatar Hoosegow Flask says:

Like the guy who outsourced his work to China for 1/5 of his salary?Report

• Avatar Glyph says:

Thanks for this. I have found my new hero.Report

• Avatar Jaybird says:

Do you want more outsourcing to China?

Because this is how we get more outsourcing to China.Report

• Avatar Glyph says:

Do I get to keep 4/5s of my salary, while turning in better work than anyone else in my office, yet doing nothing?

If so, then put me down as a “Shì de”.Report

• Avatar Jaybird says:

Until you’re caught, fired, and they outsource THE DEPARTMENT.Report

• Avatar Glyph says:

(More seriously, I am fully aware of the unacceptability of what this guy did; the security breach alone is bad, even if it had been to nationals of a country less likely to want to spy on us than China. Still, I can’t help but admire his moxie, and the fact that “his” work was consistently deemed the best in the building is hilarious).Report

• Avatar Jaybird says:

On an purely individual level, yeah. That was quite a grift he had going on and it gets me to shake my head in vague disapproval/admiration the same way that I shake my head at Dillinger or Bonnie/Clyde.

But, at the end of the day, he got more people fired than just himself.Report

• Avatar Glyph says:

Set aside the egregious security breach for a second. If the department got outsourced because the company discovered it could get better code for less money by directly employing Chinese nationals, then the other U.S. employees got hurt by losing their jobs – but that occurred because the truth that they produce inferior work for more money has been exposed (in and of itself, this exposure should be a good thing.)

I don’t know if it’s exactly fair to *blame* him for the rest of the department getting outsourced, though he was the (or a) *cause*, by getting caught.

In a weird way, you could almost look at him like an unintentional whistleblower.Report

• Avatar Jaybird says:

As I age, I am noticing the unsung virtues of sloth and inefficiency.Report

• Avatar Glyph says:

I thought about making a song about those virtues, but it just seemed too hard.Report

2. Avatar Saul Degraw says:

I’ve read lots of e-mails. Some were pretty good. Most are ordinary life. Allegedly people have gotten office affairs before and talks of sneaking a quick one at work but I have not.Report

• Avatar Richard Hershberger says:

When we were reading pharma rep field reports our main entertainment was figuring out what passed for English with these people. It’s not that they were writing in texting shorthand or the like. It’s that they were only marginally literate, and their supervisors were no better. We also enjoyed seeing how long a rep could cut and paste the same report every month before the supervisor noticed.Report

• Avatar Kazzy says:

“Allegedly people have gotten office affairs before and talks of sneaking a quick one at work but I have not.”

@saul-degraw ‘s next piece will be entitled, “Workplace Love, Digital Communication, and the Crash of the Euro: A Simple Regulatory Fix that Is Not At All Aimed at Getting the Secretary to Notice Me… Also, San Francisco”

:-pReport

3. Avatar zic says:

Hundreds of hours reading emails?

Better call Saul.Report

4. Avatar Road Scholar says:

Quite seriously, this sounds like the kind of thing that AI could potentially be good for.Report