Roddy Piper, RIP

Jon Rowe

Jon Rowe is a full Professor of Business at Mercer County Community College, where he teaches business, law, and legal issues relating to politics. Of course, his views do not necessarily represent those of his employer.

1. Avatar Jaybird

While Ted Dibiase is the only heel who ever got me sent to my room, Roddy Piper is the wrestler who got me yelled at for watching wrestling the most.

Rest in Peace, Roddy.

Thank you for They Live.Report

2. Avatar Doctor Jay

That first video is unexpectedly hilarious. I reads to me like a satire lampooning of idiot racists. I’m not sure I would have felt that way in 1984. And then I have the thought: Perhaps Donald Trump missed his calling, and should have been in the WWF.Report

3. Avatar Mike Schilling

Truly, he was the American Olivier. A shame we’ll never see his Richard III.Report

• Avatar Chris in reply to Glyph

I would not be at all surprised if one day he showed up in a WWE match. Which would be awesome, because he is one of the more entertaining people on the planet right now.Report

• Avatar Jaybird in reply to Chris

I see him more as a manager. Cut a promo or two, have the opponent say “say it, don’t spray it”, then we have a match that, ultimately, exposes not only the business but the business of capitalism.Report

• Avatar Chris in reply to Jaybird

I figured he’d be a villain at least, showing up wearing a too-tight t-shirt with an airbrushed photo of Stalin. He’d stand outside the ring and, at some point, as one of the wrestlers in the ring is hanging on the ropes, he’d hop up and beat him over the head with a hardback copy of Ecrits.Report

• Avatar Jaybird in reply to Chris

You see this as a match but when you see it as a dialectic, the underlying dynamics that exist between the so-called “babyface” and the so-called “heel” make themselves apparent. The heel is the only one allowed to tell the truth to the audience. “This city sucks, your sports team sucks, you’re all fat and ugly and useless” and, instead of being thanked, he gets booed. When the “babyface” (chosen for little more than good looks) comes out and tells the fat, ugly, useless audience that he will pretend to hit the “heel” for a few tepid minutes, he gets cheers not because of any inherent virtue on his part but based on nothing more than how a good-looking person says that he will punch the person who told the audience the truth!Report

• Avatar Glyph in reply to Chris

Can we get Werner Herzog to do the color commentary?

“And now he has smashed a chair upon the head of his opponent; even as an unfeeling universe will do to all of us in time.”Report

• Avatar Chris in reply to Glyph

OK, I finally watched the video and it may be the greatest thing I’ve ever seen in my life. On the fight between Nada and Armitage: “The extreme violence of liberation: you must be forced to be free… Freedom hurts.”

Tod needs to see it, of course, as it is about ideology.Report

4. Avatar Jaybird

Going with the theme of being given last rites, here’s Paul Heyman.

It’s for Undertaker, not Roddy… but I’m sure that had Roddy watched this, he’d have said “now *THAT* is a man who is all out of bubblegum.”Report