Overkill

Mike Schilling

Mike has been a software engineer far longer than he would like to admit. He has strong opinions on baseball, software, science fiction, comedy, contract bridge, and European history, any of which he's willing to share with almost no prompting whatsoever.

1. Avatar Burt Likko

Email is free but transmission of data to your mobile device isn’t. Does anyone still have all-you-can-eat plans?Report

• Avatar Mike Schilling in reply to Burt Likko

You have a point, but I use a fraction of the 4 GB/month [1] my plan covers, and these few KB are down in the noise.

1. That’s the smallest plan that includes tethering, which I need in case I’m not at home when there’s a problem at work.Report

2. Avatar Will Truman

I have all of such emails piped to my Outlook address. Which is good, because one order from eBay will almost always generate at least three emails (order/Paypal/shipped, then often later “Please give us a positive review”). The Outlook doesn’t alert my phone through any sort of notification. I basically see I have a new email account because the icon on the phone will pop up with the number of unread emails.

* – Stock, Aquamail, and K9, if anyone’s curious. Though Aquamail is replaced by Typemail on some devices, and K9 is replaced by Keiten or K@ on other devices.Report

• Avatar CK MacLeod in reply to Will Truman

Will Truman: This sort of planning is part of why I have three active email apps on my smartphone*, much to CK’s dismay.

Twas your polybrowserism that got to me… maybe in combination with your email polyappery…

I guess I think there should be a single email app that allowed for quasi-integrated but easily interdistinguishable multi-simultaneous instances (actually for all I know one of your emailers already would let you…).

But maybe all apps are just different instances of the one great app…Report

• Avatar Stillwater in reply to CK MacLeod

You’re much more open to polyappery than I am, CK, and I admire you for that. But me? I’ve always been a one app guy. I’ve never even felt lust in my heart for another app. One man, one app, I say.Report

• Avatar Will Truman in reply to CK MacLeod

The browsers mostly come down to (1) page view limits (I know, I know, morally wrong) and (2) keeping separate sets of surfing separate. Sorta like the advantage of having an app dedicated to Wikipedia, instead of just viewing Wikipedia on a browser.

I’ve pondered consolidating the email apps, but it’s so far just too handy to have three separate apps for easy access to three (well, four) email addresses.Report

• Avatar CK MacLeod in reply to Will Truman

(When I want to commit the sin of evading page view limits, I delete the cookie. Since the Daily Dish no longer is dishing daily, I’ll also confess that I used to take screen captures of a full post of interest before hitting the “curtain” trigger.)Report

3. Avatar Glyph

I can’t get to sleep
    I think about the implications
    Of diving in too deep
    And possibly the complications
    Especially at night
    I worry over situations
    I know will be all right
    Perhaps it’s just imaginationReport

4. Avatar Notme

This is such a terrible problem to have.Report