Ack!

Burt Likko

Pseudonymous Portlander. Homebrewer. Atheist. Recovering Republican. Recovering Catholic. Recovering divorcé. Editor-in-Chief Emeritus of Ordinary Times. Relapsed Lawyer, admitted to practice law (under his real name) in California and Oregon. On Twitter, to his frequent regret, at @burtlikko. House Likko's Words: Scite Verum. Colite Iusticia. Vivere Con Gaudium.

1. Avatar Damon

Excellent. I look forward to more online..hopefully.Report

2. Avatar Glyph

I think in 2015 we need the Meadowcrat Party more than ever.

L.H. PUTTGRASS SIGNING OFF AND HEADING FOR THE TUB!Report

3. Avatar North

I am so happy!!Report

4. Avatar Kolohe

My prediction – meh. I loved Bloom County but it was a product of its times: a boomer writing for poltically aware xers during the Reagan Era when newspaper comics were king but Peanuts was no longer existential.

I hope I am proved wrong.Report

• Avatar Chris in reply to Kolohe

I have the same fear.Report

• Avatar Glyph in reply to Kolohe

In the “strong evidence that there’s no going back” category: Outland/Opus.

In the “should we dare hope, ’80s edition” category: Mad Max: Fury Road.

Chances are, you’re right. But still…Report

• Avatar Mike Schilling in reply to Kolohe

Also, Bloom County is remembered in rosy nostalgia. It was very up-and-down,well below the quality of the real gems of that era Doonesbury, Calvin and Hobbes, and The Far Side.Report

• Avatar Glyph in reply to Mike Schilling

Eh, Far Side is different enough (one-panel jokes, no recurring characters) that I’d call that apples and oranges. Calvin & Hobbes was great, but had nowhere near the thematic, storytelling and character range or scope of Bloom County (and I’d argue that anything that shows great range and scope, is almost by definition going to have its ups and downs).

Doonesbury is unquestionably and obviously the closest comparison, but even it was never so comfortable with outright absurdity and sight gags.

I’d say BC pretty fully deserves its rep. I know I quote it more than any of the other aforementioned strips.Report

• Avatar Mike Schilling in reply to Glyph

BC was one of the greatest comic strips ever, in its early days when it was character-centered. In its later years, though, it was just generic caveman jokes. That’s what ruined it, not Johnny Hart’s religiosity.Report

• Avatar North in reply to Kolohe

I came to BC in the late 90’s in bundled collections so I am considerably more confident that it’ll work for me because I loved them. His sense of humor is very aligned with my own.Report

5. Avatar Alan Scott

My local paper didn’t carry Bloom County when I was growing up, so I never fell in love with it the way I did with Calvin and Hobbes. I’m not sure if that means I appreciate it more or less as an adult–reading it in collections, it seems like a lot of fun, but also incredibly topical and therefore dated.

If this can capture anything of what makes BC great while being an artifact of the present, rather than the past, I’ll be happy–and I’ll get the chance to appreciate the strip as it was meant to be appreciated rather than in collected form years later.Report

6. Avatar Rufus F.

Thank God I can start wearing my “Don’t Blame Me- I Voted for Bill and Opus” tee-shirt again!Report