Weekend!

Jaybird

1. Avatar Saul Degraw

Pride is this weekend in San Francisco.

My main plan is picking up my girlfriend from the airport on Sunday night. She is getting back from visiting her family in Singapore. All I got to say is that What’s App is very cool.

Other than that. Dinner with a friend tomorrow night and trying to figure out what to do with my life.

The legal economy is still anemic. One source of mine said 300 jobs were added in May. 300!!! Yet everyone in my life thinks I am meant to be a lawyer and only a lawyer and when I bring up stuff like the 300 jobs added, all I get is “Well you can’t look too heavily into that.” I feel like I am treading water in the middle of the ocean and being told to hope for a life boat to come in a few days/years.

Honestly I don’t even know where to start with looking for non-law jobs. I would like a career with room for advancement and such. Most of my friends from law school in non-law jobs seem to have taken positions with more safety than career advancement. The big winners are working in contract and grant management and administration for some reason.Report

2. Avatar aaron david

I have to wake up super early tomorrow, for a very boring morning. Normally this wouldn’t bother me, but I have had horrendous insomnia since my surgery. Well, whatya gonna do?

Slowly gearing myself up for going back to work, which is also weird. Mostly because my surgeon thinks I need a new career.Report

3. Avatar Will Truman

I ordered a computer on eBay this week. I was sent the wrong one. Man, when an eBay seller screws up… I don’t know what eBay does to them precisely, but he was practically willing to give me the computer for free as long as I didn’t complain.

The fan on one of my desktops went loud. I’d forgotten what loud desktop fans sound like. As it happens, I’m not a fan.

The dog was sick this week. Really, really sick. “A dog with unusually high sensitivity to the anal region not objecting when the anal thermometer goes in” sick. Pretty remarkable turnaround, though. Never been so excited to have her chasing squirrels and running away from the toddler before.Report

4. Avatar Mike Schilling

I find the opposite about jet lag. Going west, you stay up until it’s bedtime in your new location, sleep like a baby because you’re so tire, sleep late with no guilt whatsoever, and you’re good. Going east your day is compressed, so it’s hard to go to sleep on time. Maybe that’s because I am the opposite of a morning person. I was up at 5:30 on Tuesday to take my brother to the airport and felt like a zombie the whole day. (Not the cool kind, either.)Report

• Avatar SaulDegraw in reply to Mike Schilling

Going round and round often makes on feel like a tireReport

• Avatar Michael Cain in reply to Mike Schilling

My experience also was that going west was an easier adjustment. Hasn’t there been a bunch of research showing that if you take away the visual cues for time-of-day, people settle into a 25-hour cycle?

Being in Denver led to a lot of one-day trips to the West Coast: catch a 6:30 AM flight out, meet from 9:30 to 3:30 on the coast, catch a 6:30 PM flight back to Denver and be home in bed by 11:00 or so. The day after one of those was uniformly miserable no matter how late I slept. I’ve always wondered if it was a matter of spending a day in a place where there was simply a lot more air than I was used to.Report

5. Avatar dragonfrog

Vacation starts today. We’re going to this festival, then a couple nights of regular camping without hippies all over the place, big speaker stacks, and food vendors, then this festival. Assuming we manage to finish packing and actually get out of the house.Report

6. Avatar Miss Mary

It’s supposed to be a hundred degrees all weekend in Portland. It’s all people can talk about. I live in western oregon so I don’t have to deal with this! 🙁 if you need me I’ll be in the pool all weekendReport

7. Avatar KatherineMW

I got a job (only eight months, but with possibility of extension depending on this year’s election and next year’s budget), so I’m moving out to Ontario on Monday. Spending the weekend packing.Report

8. Avatar Maribou

Really struggling with some drug side effects, so I’ll be anxiously attempting to catch up on my sleep this weekend too. (I also called my doctor’s office.)

Looking forward to gaming on Saturday.

Due to some scheduling vagaries, I have a FOUR DAY WEEKEND. I don’t even remember the last time that happened. Various appointments on Monday but otherwise it will be all fun times :).Report

9. Avatar Reformed Republican

Gaming with the fiancee today, probably Shadows of Brimstone. Tomorrow we go to play a Star Wars RPG at a local gaming shop. We went last weekend, and it was her first time playing an RPG. She could not wait to play again.Report

• Avatar Jaybird in reply to Reformed Republican

Was the experience more of the whole dice-throwing thing or more of the whole storytelling thing?Report

• Avatar Reformed Republican in reply to Jaybird

A little of both, though more heavily dice throwing. It was a group set up through meetups.com, so the attendees can vary from one week to the next, which can limit the storytelling. This was a fairly combat heavy scenario, with us being sent into an Empire starship repair facility on a salvaged capital ship filled with explosives, then trying to fight our way out, causing destruction on the way, before the explosives went off.

The GM is very free form, so if a player asks “Can I try X?” the answer is almost always “Yes.”Report

10. Avatar Jaybird