T1 – 004: Three Cadaver

Christopher Carr

Christopher Carr does stuff and writes about stuff.

1. Avatar North says:

I beautiful, insightful and daunting piece, well done. For my own input I could not imagine listening to, instead of reading, your work. I’m a deeply visual creature so listening to the article really didn’t do it for me, I kept drifting off and being distracted by other things (visually).Report

2. Avatar Jaybird says:

Dude. This is a book waiting to happen.Report

• Avatar Christopher Carr says:

That’s the plan, actually. I think this and the other anatomy posts will comprise one long chapter. There will be one more anatomy post after this, and then the others will start coming out. The prewriting is done for most of them, and I plan to get around to a lot of it this summer. Once all the posts are out, I’ll revise and expand each section and start putting together the book. If you have any ideas for it, let me know.Report

• Avatar Jaybird says:

Open with eating a madeleine.Report

• Avatar Chris says:

I remember something like that.Report

• Avatar Christopher Carr says:

Neuroscience is coming. Don’t worry.Report

• Avatar Chris says:

There’s even a book titled Proust Was a Neuroscientist. I hear its author’s reputation has suffered a bit of late, however.Report

• Avatar Christopher Carr says:

You know, Proust’s father was a physician, and he spent quite a bit of time in his youth in a sort-of pre-apprenticeship in his father’s clinic. I’ve read a few essays that try to describe the influence this experience had on his work.Report

• Avatar Chris says:

Interesting. In an appropriately Proustian fashion, I’m sure it did.

When I first started doing research on memory in graduate school, I gave a departmental (actually, area) brown bag talk on some of my first studies, and afterwards a faculty member came up to me and asked if I’d read Proust. I said “Sure, why?” And he said, “Because you’re going to need to cite him. Every paper on memory does.”Report

• Avatar Christopher Carr says:

Interesting.

I’ve never actually read any Proust, just a handful of essays about Proust. I’ve never read the Lehrer book, although I am aware of that writer’s unfortunate fall from grace.Report

• Avatar Jaybird says:

Dude, you did the above *WITHOUT* reading Proust???

I made my original joke as a tip of the hat to how awesomely you captured the feeling of how thoughts go from here to there to over there to back again.Report

• Avatar Christopher Carr says:

Thanks Jaybird. I believe I shall have to read Proust!Report

• Avatar Chris says:

See you this time next year. 😉Report

3. Avatar Damon says:

Miyamoto Musashi’s book reminds me of “The Art of War”.Report

• Avatar Christopher Carr says:

Definitely. Although it was more focused on strategy at the level of the individual. Both can be applied to fields outside of combat, like sports, business, or medicine.Report