Alternative Presidential Candidates

Burt Likko

Pseudonymous Portlander. Homebrewer. Atheist. Recovering Republican. Recovering Catholic. Recovering divorcé. Editor-in-Chief Emeritus of Ordinary Times. Relapsed Lawyer, admitted to practice law (under his real name) in California and Oregon. On Twitter, to his frequent regret, at @burtlikko. House Likko's Words: Scite Verum. Colite Iusticia. Vivere Con Gaudium.

1. Avatar Damon

I’m all for more folks into the political process. But one issue I have is, say the debates. A nice, decorous series of statements, on topics the group has approved. BS. I want a wide ranging verbal brawl.

Not only would it be good tv, but we’d really get to see people think on their feet and refute statements from other candidates, so…..it’s not going to happen. All the more reason to insist on the. The last Republican debate I saw ignored fundamental points of contention and merely exposed how in sync all the candidates were. The same can be said for the other side.Report

2. Avatar Kolohe

President Emperor Caesar has been doing it longer, and nobody does it better than Mr. Vermin Supreme

(Now we just need to get Starchild to finally throw a hat into the ring)Report

3. Avatar Saul Degraw

Count me as someone who thinks this woman sounds potentially mentally ill.

There has to be a psychological study out there (or some really good stuff to mine) about why mentally ill people sometimes turn to the legal/political system as an expression of their mental illness. One of the earliest things I learned is that there are a lot of pro se lawsuits out there from mentally ill people with all sorts of outlandish claims in the Complaint.Report

• Avatar Burt Likko in reply to Saul Degraw

I keep coming back to Senator Gravel. Do you think he is mentally ill? Watch this interview of him before you answer. And if he is mentally ill, does that mean we can’t take amusement from his public statements?Report

• Avatar Saul Degraw in reply to Burt Likko

I am not sure how I feel about the overlap between conspiracy theories, UFO coverups, and mental illness. I don’t think extra-terristerial life is necessarily farfetched (we live in a very big universe and it would be shocking if only Earth developed life as we recognize it). I am more dubious about the cover-up and whether alien life visits earth stuff.

I suppose we can be amused by it but I also feel kind of sad for these people.

FWIW I also feel compassion for Malvolio even though he is a right prick and “Does thou because thou art virtuous, there should be no more cakes and ale” is one of my favorite lines from Shakespeare and one that I would love to say to a Huckabee or a Santorum.Report

• Avatar zic in reply to Burt Likko

This seems like it would be a delightful series, @burt-likko

I find it a bit discomforting to speculate about someone’s mental illness; there’s got to be a better term; something that also engages possibilities of mental competence, sound judgement, perhaps performance art, etc.

Perhaps Chris has a suggestion here.Report

• Avatar Jessica in reply to Saul Degraw

She is mentally I’ll, I am her child but dont have a relationship with her. I just pray for her. She is not exactly harmless but is so far gone so I just dont bother. Shes not Ethiopian my father is she is white and black.Report

4. Avatar zic

Off topic — legal eagles, NSA bulk metadata collection was shot down.

can someone throw up a post? ‘Cause we just love to talk about our government spying on us.

Also, Chelsea Manning’s written a model bill to shift the legal advantage away from government prosecutors acting in the name of “national security” and towards journalists and their sources. Report

5. Avatar Jessica

6. Avatar George Turner

Mike Gravel is running in the 2020 race, and all other Democratic candidates are doomed. Check his twitter feed.Report