500,000 Comments

Tod Kelly

Tod is a writer from the Pacific Northwest. He is also serves as Executive Producer and host of both the 7 Deadly Sins Show at Portland's historic Mission Theatre and 7DS: Pants On Fire! at the White Eagle Hotel & Saloon. He is  a regular inactive for Marie Claire International and the Daily Beast, and is currently writing a book on the sudden rise of exorcisms in the United States. Follow him on Twitter.

1. Avatar Mr. Blue

Stop and think for a moment just how many 500,00 really is:

It’s really impressive. We’re 1/10 the way to half a million!Report

2. Avatar greginak

Very appropriate the first comment was between Erik and Freddie.

PS To start the next half million let me quote Dr. Johnny Fever
    “I almost forgot, fellow babies: BOOGER!”Report

3. Avatar Oscar Gordon

You have 50 year old scotch?!

I’ll be right over…Report

4. Avatar CK MacLeod

It was this one, btw… have temporarily put a green border on it, but, over the course of the next 500k comments, we can figure out some proper decorations:

Fittingly, it’s a comment quoting someone else’s comment, under a comment rescue post.

I’ll post it in the widget in a bit.Report

5. Avatar Will Truman

I have a screen capture on my phone at 500,000, if we want that.Report

6. Avatar Michael M.

Fine you? Portland would declare it public art and make it a tourist destination. Voodoo Doughnuts all around!Report

7. Avatar Anne

Space Awesome!!!! I am proud to be part of the OT and very much value everyone hereReport

8. Avatar zic

Priding on writing the comment rescue’d that produced OTC .5M. And grateful it was made by Gabriel, since he was the knight in shining armor who rescued the comment from ignobility. That he did so rescuing another comment, and one that addressed the sentiments of the original comment?

That’s some good mojo.Report

9. Avatar Kolohe

Finally, something that gives May 5 unique historical significance. There are already so many days where one can celebrate defeating the French.Report

10. Avatar aaron david

Well played all around! (I haven’t posted much out of fear it would be me…)Report

11. Avatar North

Oh agnostic Jesus! I click one article over from that one and there is Roque Nuevo. Memories! Sweet memories!!!!Report

12. Avatar LeeEsq

Congrats to Gabriel. Let us go for one million.Report

13. Avatar Vikram Bath

none of us would bother with any of this if it wasn’t for y’all

Well, exactly one of us would. 🙂Report

14. Avatar Saul Degraw

I’m drinking a beer right now.

It is completely unrelated to the 500,000 comment (I usually drink with dinner) but my timing is impeccable 🙂

Cheers to all!!!Report

15. Avatar Mike Dwyer

“If you’ve been thinking that you come here because of us, you’ve got it backward. We come here because of you.”

I agree. Best commentariat on the internet.Report

16. Avatar Saul Degraw

OT Dance Party:

17. Avatar CK MacLeod

Among other changes in honor of the 1st Half 10^6, I’d also like to recommend a new default avatar, tho I’m not sure it’ll take care of the current problem with GoG showing the Gravatar image rather than the Mystery Man (whom I never cared for much, but at least isn’t advertising someone’s service however useful some find it…)

Am open, of course, to alternative suggestions…Report

18. Avatar Burt Likko

In addition to raft, we’ve had other commenters with great handles, like Infuriating Pedant and The Fifth Dentist. That I remember these folks for so long is indicative of the importance of the commenting community here.

The posts are great, but the comments are the payoff. Keep them cards and letters coming in, folks.Report

19. Avatar Gabriel Conroy

Oh my. And I didn’t even know there was a countdown.Report

20. Avatar j r

Congrats! You guys have built quite a place. The internet is better for it.Report

21. Avatar Pyre