Fast Approaching Official OT Comment Number 500,000

CK MacLeod

WordPresser: Writing since ancient times, blogging, e-commercing, and site installing-designing-maintaining since 2001.

1. Avatar Zane

I have no ideas for commemorating this event. But this is one of the very few sites where I ever consider commenting. The culture here is so much healthier and more respectful than virtually anywhere else out there. Thank you to everyone.Report

2. Avatar Kazzy

Public flogging. Obviously.Report

3. Avatar Vikram Bath

All expenses paid trip to the next Leaguefest, including and strictly limited to the first beer.Report

4. Avatar CK MacLeod

295 comments to the half-million markReport

5. Avatar Burt Likko

This is a very worthy item to commemorate. We have good writers making the top threads here, but it’s the commenting community that really drives the site. So keep them cards and letters coming in, folks!Report

• Avatar CK MacLeod in reply to Burt Likko

If you would like to know how close you are to #500,000, you should be able to tell if you put this shortcode in your comment: [comment-count]

So, if I’ve done this right, then we’re at comment number [comment-count]Report

• Avatar CK MacLeod in reply to CK MacLeod

I appear to have that right ([comment-count])Report

• Avatar CK MacLeod in reply to CK MacLeod

To be clear, the shortcode continually updates – so it’s not the number of the particular comment, but the number where we are at a given moment… Twould be particularly ironic if the 500,000th comment was me explaining how to tell when we hit the 500,000th comment.

I’m pretty confident that by the 1 millionth comment I could be better prepared.Report

• Avatar CK MacLeod in reply to CK MacLeod

amusingly, the old comments won’t update to wherever the new one is until all refreshed – so there’ll be some apparent inconsistencies… (that’s what I meant about being better-prepared – maybe with some Java- or Java-like thing – for the 1 million mark.Report

6. Avatar Michael Cain

So, are there people with comments all queued up to hit the “Post Comment” button as the count closes in on the milestone, trying to be the one?Report

7. Avatar North

I won’t lie, I’m tempted to try. But it won’t work, I gotta go to the gym.Report

8. Avatar greginak

Query: Is there a record of the very first comment??????Report