Weekend!

Jaybird

1. Avatar Will Truman says:

We had a visit from the Development Coordinator. She talks a mile a minute in about fifteen different directions and so it took us a whole hour after she left just to recover.

I finished the taxes and, as previously mentioned, we actually got a bit of a refund. Yay! (My head knows I gave the feds an interest free loan. My heart doesn’t care.)

Trying to train the dog on the invisible fence. A “level two” “static correction” doesn’t seem to have any effect. Going to level three has her yelping and running in circles. Not sure what to do.

We were really hoping to go mattress-shopping this week. Doesn’t look like that’s going to work out.Report

2. Avatar Jaybird says:

(My mom does this thing where she calls me at 5:15 AM on my birthday and explains to me that that’s the time that I woke her up lo those many, many years ago. Every year.)Report

3. Avatar Murali says:

We have a pre-wedding photo shoot.Report

4. Avatar Burt Likko says:

This weekend is bottling the homebrew!Report

5. Avatar Chris says:

Happy Birthday, Maribou!

Going to see Lady Lamb (and the Beekeeper) tonight. Reggae Fest tomorrow. Then lots of housework to do Sunday.Report

• Avatar Glyph says:

Bit of a tangent sparked off the Reggae Fest, but despite considering myself a casual fan of Oasis at best, I will always read a Noel Gallagher interview. That dude is hilarious, and seems to have a pretty good head on his shoulders.

Anyway, he gave one to AVClub not too long ago, and in it he was asked about the “Blurred Lines”/Gaye Estate verdict, and he had this to say:

AVC: What is your take on the “Blurred Lines” verdict?

NG: I’m not sure what on Earth they’ve been sued for, if I’m being honest. An American journalist said to me it’s because of the rhythm of the track. Now if that’s true, and you can copyright rhythm, then all of reggae is fucked, all of dance music is fucked. All I can say is somebody has got some shit lawyers.

• Avatar Chris says:

Hehe… yeah, I get the impression a lot of musicians feel that way. I saw a lot of “this ruling will ruin the music industry” statements in the immediate aftermath.Report

• Avatar ScarletNumber says:

Glyph:

Plus he wrote the greatest song of the last 20 years: Don’t Look Back in Anger.

So he has THAT going for him, which is nice.Report

6. Avatar North says:

Happy Birthday Maribou.Report

7. Avatar zic says:

For Maribou, happy happy joy joy.

• Avatar Maribou says:

@zic heee! thank you.Report

• Avatar zic says:

@maribou I didn’t want to ask yesterday, being do-nothing day. But I do today — did you manage to do nothing?Report

• Avatar Maribou says:

@zic Yes, I did! And every time I *didn’t* answer the phone, I got a thrill all over. *grins*Report

• Avatar zic says:

***grins back***

One of the things we forget about telephones is that it’s okay to ignore them, to turn them off, to leave them home. I hope you pursue birthday bliss more often, and ignore the phone, telling it, “You are not the boss of me,” at least once or twice a month. Or weekend. Or even every day.

And I recently discovered Mr. Bliss. I’m uncertain how I feel about it; I didn’t love it nearly as much as I’d hoped; thought the illustrations far better than the narrative. It wasn’t quite silly enough to suspend judgement of the characters, not sympatico.Report

• Avatar Kim says:

You can leave the telephone at home. Sadly, the busybody cameras are rather harder to turn off. And then employers kvetch because they saw you “outside, having fun” (yes, employees who sign up for 24/7 contracts have themselves to blame. You’d think the employers understood that constant monitoring ought to account for sleep).Report

8. Avatar Damon says:

I’m perfecting my Gajar ka Halwa making skills, among other things….Report

9. Avatar Mike Dwyer says:

Happy Birthday Maribou!

Busy weekend for me. We have a Kenny Chesney concert tonight (yes, I know this is probably hopelessly pedestrian to the music lovers of the OT – but I still love mainstream country music). Tomorrow is probably my favorite opening day of the year. Spring turkey season starts and so I will be up at a painful hour and should be sitting under a tree by 6:30am waiting for some big tom to come visit.

UFC on FOX tomorrow night. Good card for anyone that wants to catch some quality free fights.

Off to the airport on Sunday for my last trip to CT for quite a while. I’m handing the project off to someone else so I can transition to the NH side of things. Should be a productive week.Report

10. Avatar dragonfrog says:

Happy birthday full of as little as possible, Maribou!

Personally I’m spending what’s looking like to be a beautiful spring weekend mostly in the basement, where the horrible awful no good very bad carpet is going to come out, and probably a few truckloads of stuff will go to goodwill, the eco-station, or the dump. Unfortunately we didn’t get a chance to buy the new flooring before Fledermaus went out of town for the weekend, but honestly it’s unlikely we’d have had much time to install it anyway.Report

11. Avatar Joe Sal says:

Happy birthday Maribou!Report

12. Avatar aaron david says:

Happy Birthday Maribou!

My wife’s birthday is middle next week, so she will be gardening this weekend and I will be building garden structures per her directions.

There might be a birthday dinner, or that might be next weekend.Report

13. Avatar Tod Kelly says:

Happy Birthday, Maribou! I will raise a glass of an as-of-yet undetermined spirited beverage in your name this weekend.Report

• Avatar Tod Kelly says:

Oh, I forgot: This is the last weekend me and the youngest are bach-ing it, and so tomorrow night will be yet another evening of Chinese takeout and bad kung fu movies. (We deviated from the formula and watch Snowpiercer last weekend, and it was something of a disappointment — so back to the kung-fu genre we go. Maybe Stephen Chow’s Jounrey to the West… has anyone seen it? Is it as fun as Kung Fu Hustle was?)

Otherwise I intend to do some outdoor activities because it is going to be severity-freaking-seven degrees and sunny this weekend. There will be hiking. There will be yard work. There will be one-on-one basketball. At some point, dead animal flesh will no doubt be placed on the BBQ.Report

• Avatar Maribou says:

@tod-kelly Thank you! I have not ruled out some glass raising of my own.Report

14. Avatar Kolohe says:

Happy Birthday!

15. Avatar Maribou says:

For once, I have nothing to add to Jay’s description of our weekend. 😀Report

16. Avatar LeeEsq says:

Happy birthday Maribou. Do you plan to have the traditional Canadian birthday caribou?Report

• Avatar Maribou says:

@leeesq Thank you! Sadly, it would be prohibitively expensive to fly caribou down here for the eatin’. I’ve had it a time or two in my life, though, and it was deeeeeeelicious.Report

17. Avatar James K says:

Happry Birthday @maribouReport

18. Avatar Patrick says:

(a) I will offer my standard “congrats on surviving another round-trip of star Sol on spaceship Terra!”

(b) I envy your Saturday