Weekend!

Jaybird

1. Avatar dragonfrog

“I want to invite your childless grownup friends who have white-collar jobs and who are also in the middle of a perpetual adolescence.”

That’s been most of the attendees at our daughter’s birthday parties so far. This year for the first time she has a long list of kids she wants to invite.

This weekend picks up a little ahead of where last weekend left off in terms of cleaning, and a week further behind in terms of yard cleanup and getting the garden ready. I’m a little unsure about the garden as there’s at least a passing chance we’ll tear down the garage and build a two-storey one during the summer, and there’s no way the garden would survive that.Report

2. Avatar Saul Degraw

Flying back to SF tomorrow.

Belle and Sebastian on Sunday.Report

• Avatar Glyph in reply to Saul Degraw

If my experience holds, B & S will be much more dancey than you might have suspected. I know you like Camera Obscura, have you listened to Alvvays? Sort of similar.

(One day I should get around to doing a “Twee!” post).

I might go see some electronic stuff tonight sound unheard, don’t know if it’ll be any good. If I can get my butt there.

The last three shows I planned on attending, I crapped out on – one I forgot about/missed, one I was just too tired to drive all the way there/back that night, and one was on an evening/weekend I had to take care of family stuff, so I ended up skipping it (after I had already bought a ticket!)Report

• Avatar Saul Degraw in reply to Glyph

@glyph

The show is at an outdoor theatre in Berkeley called The Greek Theatre. I’ve seen B&S three times before this. The first was in 2002 with the Ailers Set opening, the second was in 2006 at a free summer concert that Starbucks put on, the third was at a usually second-rate music festival in SF called Treasure Island. But the new album is pretty dancey.Report

3. Avatar Will Truman

I tripped walking up the stairs last night and my pain-free movement is limited.

I swear this house is going to kill us.Report

4. Avatar Maribou

I am sick. Alsotoo, tired. I have to work 2-10 today, but after that I’m planning to spend the weekend in bed. Hoping to feel perky / noncontagious enough to visit with our friends on Saturday. (It’s not really a post-birthday party so much as a “oh, we should bring some presents over since (kid in question) just had a birthday”.) Other than that, life can go hang until I beat off this germ.Report

5. Avatar Tod Kelly

A whole lot of work this weekend, sadly. I would kind of like to take a couple of days off and just vegetate.

On the plus side, GoT premiers this weekend, as does Veep. And the Younger Boy and I will probably get take out and watch a bad kung fu movie at some point.

Also, I’m finally over my astoundingly bad cold, so I might make myself an old fashioned tonight and slip into a book tonight.Report

6. Avatar Burt Likko

My pear cider has fermented and will need bottling this weekend. Next weekend the beer should be ready to bottle.

Other than that, I’ve motion oppositions due next week and a stack of hearings, so I may be doing some legal writing over the weekend. Boo.Report

• Avatar dragonfrog in reply to Burt Likko

What’s your source of pear juice? I made some pear cider last autumn but not as much as I had hoped – the one tree of good cider pears I have access to dropped most of its fruit unusually early.Report

7. Avatar Miss Mary

I’m on call this weekend, but that can’t stop me from going to oregon’s famous tulip festival!!! I’ll also be planning my trip to Disney World.Report

8. Avatar Don Zeko

I passed the PA Bar, and I’m board gaming it up tomorrow instead of getting around to doing my taxes.Report

9. Avatar Michael Cain

Snapped the cleats into the pedals this afternoon, did six miles out and six miles back. I am so fat. I am so out of shape. I am so fishing old.Report

10. Avatar Mike Dwyer

I have approx. 1,608 things I have to do this week between work and home, so this weekend has been mostly about R&R. Plus my back is wrecked thanks to an ill-advised 2-on-2 basketball game with my brother and our nephews last weekend. Trying to rest it up so I can tackle the 1,608 things.

I brought back a large bag of cheese curds from my trip to Wisconsin last week. So last night we snacked on those, dove into the DVR (4 episodes of The Good Wife – caught up) and tried to do as little as possible. Need to cut the grass which went from brown to needs-to-be cut seemingly overnight. Not sure if the back will allow but if not, that’s what the kids are for.

Really excited about GoT tonight. In years past I have waited until the season was over, convinced the cable company I needed a free trial of HBO for a month and then binged over a couple of days until I was done. As an early Father’s Day present my wife agreed to keep HBO for the length of the season. So…this is my first season premiere. Excited to have something to talk about around the water cooler tomorrow morning instead of covering my ears and yelling, “NO SPOILERS!”Report

11. Avatar Jaybird

Miss Mary:
    I saw the fireworks at Disneyland. Those where cool. Are these better?

When Maribou told me that she was going to be visiting her sister at Disneyland and she asked me if I wanted to come too (wanting me to say yes but thinking I’d decline because of work, vacation, so on), the first thing I remembered was the Disneyworld fireworks show.

I said yes.Report

12. Avatar Will Truman

I finished taxes! We’re even getting a refund from the feds! Due to some extremely low withholdings from one of Clancy’s jobs, we were expecting to owe money. I’d actually set aside thousands. We’re getting back hundreds.

We do owe the state some $300 or so.

I know that, logically, I should be thrilled with getting an interest-free loan from the state government and lamenting that we’ve been overpaying the feds. But I just can’t bring myself that eminently logical point of view. Chalk it up to irrationality. Or patriotism! Let’s go with patriotism!Report