Poppy Crop

Burt Likko

Pseudonymous Portlander. Homebrewer. Atheist. Recovering Republican. Recovering Catholic. Recovering divorcé. Editor-in-Chief Emeritus of Ordinary Times. Relapsed Lawyer, admitted to practice law (under his real name) in California and Oregon. On Twitter, to his frequent regret, at @burtlikko. House Likko's Words: Scite Verum. Colite Iusticia. Vivere Con Gaudium.

1. Avatar zic

The blue flower may be indigo bush.

The leaf on the center-left edge is a lupine leaf; I’m guessing they’ll be out in another week or two.Report

2. Avatar Michael Cain

As a fan of high-altitude near-deserts, I enjoyed all of these. We’re still weeks away from the wildflower season here, but when our last round of snow melted off this past week, there were patches of green being uncovered.Report

• Avatar zic in reply to Michael Cain

‘weeks away.’

jealous

We’ve gotten another half-foot and growing of snow this weekend.

I almost booked a trip to somewhere warm; but decided to be a stoic and wait for wildflowers in my own back yard.Report

• Avatar Michael Cain in reply to zic

I can pretty safely predict that over the next several weeks we’ll have — in no particular order — sunshine, more snow, sunshine, flooding from the run off, sunshine, an early-season thunderstorm or three, and more sunshine. Really good sunshine, too, not that miserable excuse for sunshine the eastern half of the country usually has…Report

• Avatar North in reply to zic

Yeah it’s amusing as hell to talk to my Mother on the phone @zic. She’s up in Nova Scotia north and east of you. She loves to skii so that is her silver lining but she’s irritated that she’s skiing over top of her gardens when she’d very much rather be down in them getting ready for spring.Report

• Avatar Jaybird in reply to zic

Yesterday, Maribou told me about the “Saint Patrick’s Snowstorm” enjoyed by PEI every year. It doesn’t always happen *ON* Saint Paddy’s Day, but it usually happens within a week of it and it’s celebrated as the last snowstorm worth mentioning until (the other) Thanksgiving.Report

• Avatar North in reply to zic

@Jaybird Word is the snow is so deep on PEI this year that they’re are just roofing over their driveways.Report

3. Avatar Saul Degraw

Nice photos and essay.

The Dessert is my least favorite form of topography. I have always been one for forrests and beaches. This pretty much means I need to live in the Pacific Northwest or the Northeast.Report

4. Avatar Damon

I always preferred the lupen. Purple is a prettier color on the sides of the gorges.Report

5. Avatar Johanna

Sigh. There are things I miss and don’t miss about California. I definitely miss the poppies. Your pictures are lovely but seeing them is something else and definitely unforgettable and breathtaking. Enjoy your little bit of heaven! We haven’t even got our snow drops sprouting here yet.Report

6. Avatar Will H.

I like this. Thanks for sharing.Report