A Meathead Watches Gilmore Girls (“Hammers and Veils”)

Sam Wilkinson

According to a faithful reader, I'm Ordinary Times's "least thoughtful writer." So I've got that going for me, which is nice.

1. Avatar Kim says:

Any chance Lorelai is trying to push Luke to declare his undying love for her?
    After all, some people are afraid to take the leap themselves, and do push the other person to do it.

That seems a lot more sensible than “this guy who I kinda like I kinda want to be there… even though he’s unhappy For Good Reason”Report

2. Avatar Kim says:

Sociopath? you sure you don’t mean Sadist?Report

3. Avatar Mike Schilling says:

I’ve missed these.

Agreed that both Lorelai-Emily scenes were well-written and wonderfully acted, It’s amusing that even in relenting, Emily has to remind Lorelai that she has a big head.Report

• Avatar Sam Wilkinson says:

Emily just can’t help herself. Even in victory, she finds a way to make us look at the screen and boggle at her delivery.Report

4. Avatar Jaybird says:

This is the flipside to Fifty Shades.Report

• Avatar Sam Wilkinson says:

Consensuality is a big issue here.Report

• Avatar Sam Wilkinson says:

No, in terms of who is doing what to whom.Report

• Avatar Jaybird says:

While Fifty Shades gives a fantasy version of the dominant kinda guy, Luke is a fantasy version of the so-called “nice guy”. He’s so nice that he doesn’t even call himself that.

And yet he’s emotionally supportive, logistically supportive (coffee!), and is even a pretty decent handyman. He’s ruggedly handsome! He’s got his own business!

Why, we look at those two and while we may, privately, think that she’s a fool for not getting with Luke (hey, we know that she doesn’t owe him a damn thing! Except money for her meals at the diner) and we will avoid use of the term “friendzone” because, seriously, the guys who say such words out loud are awful people… but that’s because the guys who say “nice guy” and “friendzone” out loud are not in the target audience for this fantasy.

Luke is a fantasy. A very specific fantasy.Report

• Avatar Sam Wilkinson says:

Yeah, this is a good analysis, and I was being a bit glib in suggesting that Luke isn’t necessarily consenting to how badly he’s been treated by Lorelai. But then I realized that he really is consenting to all of this.

Stars Hollow is so complicated.Report