Debate between Bird and Fish

Rufus F.

Rufus is an American curmudgeon in Canada. He has a PhD in History, sings in a garage rock band, and does a bunch of other stuff.

1. Avatar Rufus F.

No comments? On such a contentious issue? I would have expected someone to jump in by now and say that both sides do it.Report

2. Avatar Mike Schilling

In Jewish mythology, no birds come to mind but the chief monster is a gigantic fish, Leviathan.Report

3. Avatar Tod Kelly

If we do not know the king’s justification, are we allowed to presume what it was? Because if it were me, it all comes down to:

So Fish, you can swim, eh? That’s nice. I can swim too. Not every often, though. I have better things to do.

Bird! Dude, you can fly???!!! That is so cool!!!

4. Avatar Mike Schilling

Bird was beloved of the god Duranti, who said unto him

Created thou wast by Enki, and truly dost thou soar above the earth and defilest that which is below with thy tiny droppings. Hence shallst thou be known as Enki-dinky-doodoo.

5. Avatar North

I’m with you on birds- how people can ever contemplate them as pets is beyond me. Those cold staring insane near reptile eyes-brrrrr!!! Then again as the grandson of a fisherman I have never understood pet fish- they’re food. Get a cat or a dog.Report

6. Avatar Jaybird

This is probably one of the earliest comedy routines. People sitting around the fire laughing and saying “it’s funny because it’s true!” and trying to top each other with the arguments that this animal would make for why it’s better than that one.

I mean, to the point where someone who said “we need to write this stuff down!”Report

7. Avatar Will H.

I’m thinking that “The Elusive Salmon of Knowledge” is more of a good album title than band name.Report