Re-Blogging the Canon

Rufus F.

Rufus is an American curmudgeon in Canada. He has a PhD in History, sings in a garage rock band, and does many things. He is the author of the forthcoming book "The Paris Bureau" from Dio Press (early 2021).

1. Avatar Pinky says:

If you fail to make it through Gilgamesh, may you never own anything of black alabaster!Report

2. Avatar Jaybird says:

This makes me so very happy. (It may even inspire me to get back on the poetry horse.)Report

3. Avatar Mike Schilling says:

Has anyone else ever read Samuel R. Delany’s Neveryona books? They’re fantasy (kind of, even though there’s no magic in them), and claim to be translations of the earliest surviving bit of writing in the world, in a script which would someday evolve into cuneiform. They’re also full of multiple levels of self-reference and other sorts of postmodern games. Neolithic awesome.Report

4. Avatar TomDarga says:

Rig Veda Here

I don’t see how you can “blog” it easily since it consists of so many individual hymns …

Anyways, good luck and enjoy proclaiming the manly deeds of Indra. He’s pretty badass.Report

5. Avatar TomDarga says:

Um .. no this is not a duplicate comment … mr software

Rig Veda Here

6. Avatar TomDarga says:

Seriously? WTF? I checked several times and I didn’t see the other one. D’oh.Report

• Avatar Rufus F. in reply to TomDarga says:

Not sure what you mean. I’ve covered some of these and will be updating the links as I do more. I will actually link to the sacred texts page for Enuma Elish when I post about that in the near future.Report

7. Avatar TomDarga says:

You can pretty much find all this stuff at http://www.sacred-texts.com

It’s a freaking treasure trove. Too bad the creator died early.Report