Weekend!

Jaybird

1. Avatar Will Truman says:

Well, at the moment we’re licking our wounds from a report by child development authorities on how we’re raising our daughter (and another likely on the way). Long story. It wasn’t all bad, but it’s hard to read a report that outlines everything you’re doing wrong (and the vague worry it’s going to be in a file somewhere in the state capital archives). Long story.

Clancy starts with a physical trainer tomorrow. She’s struggling and it’s going to be a while before she can walk again. She can drive, at least. Starts work on Monday.

Mother-in-law comes to town next week. Looking forward to some relief.Report

• Avatar Saul Degraw says:

Wait what?Report

• Avatar greginak says:

Wow…good luck with all that Will. Sounds like a full plate. Another child?Report

• Avatar Road Scholar says:

Wait a minute… so how/why did CPS get involved in your lives in the first place? (Apologies if you’ve already explained and I missed it.)

When our oldest was a toddler we were living in a not-great apartment complex. We had upstairs neighbors that had too many/too large dogs. Somebody turned them in to the landlord and they assumed it was us. In retaliation they called a bogus report in to CPS. They came out to investigate, as they should, and they had the unfortunate timing to do so when I was out to sea (Navy days) and my wife was… indisposed… temporarily in the bathroom. Said toddler toddles to the front door and opens it.

“Is your mommy here?”

Toddler looks behind her, not seeing Mommy because she’s in a different room, and answers, “No,” and shuts the door in the lady’s face.

Ah, Jesus. Thus began six months of semi-intensive scrutiny by the Commonwealth of Virginia. Not the most fun we’ve ever had I must say.Report

• Avatar Will Truman says:

Not the CPS, thankfully. Our pediatrician sent a referral to the Department of Education and Childhood Development (or somesuch) because Lain isn’t meeting some of her benchmarks. As part of the process, they send two assessment specialists to our house, who then file a report to the state regarding our eligibility for a program to help her close the gap (if there is a gap). Child environment is a part of that assessment.

It’s all supposed to be positive in the end (either they say everything is fine or they help us), but this is the part that hurts. We’re two or three of four reports in, but the gist of the second report is that the kid is fine and the problem is environmental. The first actually was pretty cursory (and not very optimistic) while we were told that the third will paint a more negative picture than the person actually believes exists but the score is the score.Report

• Avatar greginak says:

Stay calm and be patient. There are no perfect parents. Parenting is a skill like any other that often benefits from coaching and learning. Doesn’t feel fun but that is how skills are learned.

Without , obviously, knowing any of the details saying something is an environmental issue with a baby doesn’t imply bad parenting. Some kids need different environments which is hard to figure unless you have some special training. I tell some parents that it is a parents job to see their kids threw rose colored glasses. You’re supposed to think everything they do is cute and wonderful. But that sometimes means you don’t see when they need something different or some modification. Outside people aren’t blinded by love which is good for an assessment and suggestions.

Love is the key part though. If parent’s love their kid they will learn what they need and deal with their own and the kids eccentricities. If you got the love everything else can be worked out. In the end what kids need is only a Good Enough parent; love, play, safety , nurturing and occasionally some help and the kids will be alright.Report

• Avatar dragonfrog says:

Wow, that sounds un-fun in the extreme! I’m glad to hear the potential outcomes are all eventually positive.Report

• Avatar Maribou says:

Oh, WIll, I’m so sorry the two of you have to go through that (I say two because I’m pretty sure Lain will be blissfully unaffected in later life.) Hang in there.Report

• Avatar Tod Kelly says:

Wow, Will. That sounds awful. We went through a (very) short ordeal with child services once, and it sucked. (They were unbelievably nice, actually, but it still sucked.)Report

• Avatar Burt Likko says:

Jeez, first-time parents who actually care about their kids are already their own worst critics, without having strangers in positions of vague authority pass judgment on them too. Get better soon, Clancy, and no more beating yourselves up, mom and dad!Report

• Avatar Michael Cain says:

Sympathy extended. Our daughter was born just enough too early that the State of New Jersey counted here as a preemie. So six months of periodic developmental checks that had to be filed with the proper state agency. If the birth had been two days later, we would have skipped all of that.Report

2. Avatar Maribou says:

I am having an odd weekend in that I am working today 3-5, tomorrow 11:30-5, not on Sunday. So today sort of feels like weekend? except I really should be getting ready for work soon… and tomorrow will feel like a weekend except for working for 5 hours… but working on Saturday is usually different/easier… mostly I am tired and would like a couple weeks off, even though we just came back from break. The cold fluffiness of January is lulling, and I want to give in to its lull.

I’ve been dealing with some really rough stuff in therapy – new, bad, memories and such – which is probably a large pat of the reason I feel the urge to hibernate. Hoping that eases up some in the next week or two.Report

3. Avatar ScarletNumbers says:

I will be watching the NFL conference championship games this Sunday.

I also have a three-day weekend. The Greaseman once opined a way we could have this entire week off…Report

• Avatar Burt Likko says:

Do you like both the home teams? As you might imagine, I’m very much hoping for an upset against Tod’s SeaChickens, but quite concerned about a hobbled QB.Report

• Avatar Tod Kelly says:

Unlikely QBs scare me right now, after the Championship game on Monday. I’m worried it’s going to be a trend for me this week.Report

• Avatar Burt Likko says:

Care to have a small wager on the outcome? Say, the cost of the first round of Scotland’s finest next time we get together?Report

• Avatar ScarletNumbers says:

I like both home teams, but can easily see either or both losing. I would recommend taking both dogs to cover.

How’s that for decisive?

Anyway, I find it ironic that even though New England is the team furthest east in the entire NFL and Seattle is team furthest west in the entire NFL, the NFC game is the early game (12:05 kickoff) and the AFC game is the late game (6:40 kickoff).

In regards to your bet with @tod-kelly I would have asked for some points.Report

• Avatar ScarletNumbers says:

Well I got the first one right. Congrats to @tod-kellyReport

4. Avatar Glyph says:

Well, I was going to try to fix my hot tub, but what I thought was a simple repair that I had received the parts for, turns out to perhaps be a more complicated repair, for which I do not currently have the part. Dangit.

(I used stronger words upon this discovery. I am partial to Bob Odenkirk’s favorite swear word):

All the kids are at grandma and grandpa’s tonight, so me and the wife are going to get dinner and see a band; the first show we have attended together in several years.Report

5. Avatar Burt Likko says:

Tonight, it’ll be finalizing the coffee table that Natasha and I built over last weekend and have been painting and coating since. Thank Dog for spray poly!

Tomorrow will be some prep in the yard to adjust for turning off the water for the winter, followed by visiting with a friend who is recovering from surgery. Also, using a new-to-me freestanding rotisserie appliance to turn a bird into dinner.

Sunday will be dedicated to worship at the Temple of Football. Hoping for a better outcome the second time in a week I’ll have worn all green and gold.Report

• Avatar aaron david says:

Any pics of the table?Report

• Avatar Burt Likko says:

We had another round of sanding to do last night when the glass we ordered was a quarter of an inch larger than the trim we’d put around the topper. Lo, much profanity was heard that night in the Likko household, I can tell you! So out came the orbital sander and then again with the paint and the poly and we shall try again tonight. When we successfully top the table, I shall photographically tout our triumph for my Reader to marvel upon!Report

• Avatar James Hanley says:

Can’t wait to see it, Burt.Report

• Avatar Burt Likko says:

I’ve uploaded some pictures of the table in Jaybird’s Saturday post. Two pictures as we got it put into place, two after we loaded it up for its use as entertainment media storage — board games, video games, music CD’s, and DVD’s are all kept in various cubby-holes below the glass-topped map surface.Report

6. Avatar aaron david says:

Quiet weekend for me. Dad and his wife visiting for lunch tomorrow, Seahawks on Sunday. Keep working on the bike I am restoring inbetween.Report

7. Avatar North says:

Four day weekend… ahhhhhhhh.
    Gonna replace the garbage disposal. Anxiety.Report

8. Avatar Tod Kelly says:

After a series of overly-full plates, I think I am going into this weekend without one single plan. It feels really, really good.

I’ll be watching the NFL conference champions, obviously, as I try to think up excuses to save face if Burt wins our bet. And I am actually way behind on several large projects here, so I think I might work on those.Report

9. Avatar Saul Degraw says:

Going to see the Haring exhibit at the De Young on Sunday. Eagerly awaiting Tuesday which bring new albums from Sleater-Kinney, Belle and Sebastian, and the Decemberists.Report

10. Avatar Damon says:

Ethiopian food for dinner one night with friend.
    Some other food with another friend.
    “tandorizing” some chicken for the gap dinner :0Report