Stupid Tuesday Questions: Nathan Detroit Edition

1. Avatar Burt Likko says:

The “Shining Path” preschool in the L.A. neighborhood of Mar Vista, which catered to Spanish-speaking families. I drove by it just before the holidays — it’s closed now.Report

• Avatar Glyph says:

On a somewhat related front (though this is more one of those lost in translation things) I always supress an inappropriate giggle when there is news about the Moro Islamic Liberation Front.Report

2. Avatar Mike Schilling says:

Runyon was a very entertaining writer, with a strong and infectious style. Would you object to Ecole Victor Hugo because he wrote about thieves and prostitutes?Report

3. Avatar Brandon Berg says:

You’re not my real doctor! You can’t ask me stupid Tuesday questions! I hate you! Waaaaah!

Seriously, where’d Doc Saunders go? Did he abandon us when he got his Daily Beast gig?Report

4. Avatar Brandon Berg says:

It’s a place, not an institution, but I’m saying it anyway: Wanker’s Corner, Oregon.Report

5. Avatar James Hanley says:

“The” Ohio State University. There are about a dozen other state universities in Ohio.

Runner up: “The U,” when said by Miami football players, for most of whom its doubtful they actually attended the University.Report

• Avatar Michael Cain says:

Related, many years ago at the University of Texas at Austin I had my first encounter with window decals that simply said “The University” in orange Old English font. I understand other schools have adopted this practice these days.Report

• Avatar ScarletNumbers says:

The former Trenton State College changed its name to The College of New Jersey, and uses the initialism TCNJ.

This is insulting because they are attempting to place themselves above the other directional colleges.Report

6. Avatar Michael Cain says:

The Alferd Packer grill at the University of Colorado student center in Boulder. Packer was a miner who was part of a late-season attempt to cross the Rockies and survived by eating the bodies of some of his companions.Report

7. Avatar Kimmi says:

At school we had a lovely bit of 50’s architecture called Donner Hall. It’s a truly awful building, with various nefarious things buried under the floorboards.Report

8. Avatar Will Truman says:

Highland College of Montana Tech of the University of Montana is the name of a junior college.

Before that, I would have answered Montana Tech of the University of Montana, which is full University.Report

9. Avatar Tod Kelly says:

I always thought there was something particularly cruel about parents in Oklahoma that send their kids to Pansy Kidd Middle School. Might as well just buy them goth makeup and be done with it.Report

10. Avatar Pinky says:

Not an institution, but the Dodge Ram always amused me.Report

11. Avatar ScarletNumbers says:

NJ 23 runs from the suburbs of Newark all the way up to High Point. In 2008 it was named after Robert Roe, who represented NJ 8 (Paterson and its suburbs) in Congress from 1969-1993. He also championed transportation issues and was instrumental in getting 287 built through NJ.

Problem? In 1993 he was convicted of DWI from an accident where he injured a woman and her 15-year-old daughter.

New Jersey eventually took Roe’s name off the highway.Report

12. Avatar dragonfrog says:

My hometown has at various times used various naming schemes for its street grid – numbers, letters, names of locally or nationally important people, areas with themes (degrees of nobility from Duke St up to Empress St, etc.)

This leads to there being a Rusholme and P intersection.Report

13. Avatar dragonfrog says:

In about an hour, I’ll be going to Pho King for supper.Report

14. Avatar ScarletNumbers says:

Would you rather it be called Harris – Klebold School? #TooSoon?Report

15. Avatar Randy Harris says:

1) Pancho Villa State Park in New Mexico

2) Lee’s Ferry, a point along the Colorado River near the beginning of the Grand Canyon. It’s named after John D. Lee, who was executed for his role in the Mountain Meadows Massacre.Report