Damn You, Dave Barry

Mike Schilling

Mike has been a software engineer far longer than he would like to admit. He has strong opinions on baseball, software, science fiction, comedy, contract bridge, and European history, any of which he's willing to share with almost no prompting whatsoever.

1. Avatar Jaybird

They asked Joe Quesada “how does somebody become a comic book artist?”

His answer: “Draw everyday. Draw everyday. Draw everyday.”Report

• Avatar Michael Cain in reply to Jaybird

Also Bradbury’s “Write 1,000 words a day, every day.” According to this site, and assuming single-spaced 11-point Times New Roman, that’s 2.1 pages per day. Note that Bradbury only said it would make you a writer; nothing about whether you’d be any good at it.

When I’m trying to write, I find the enormous blank expanse of an on-screen representation of an 8.5×11-inch piece of paper intimidating. So I cheat, and tell the word processor to use a 5.5×8.5 page. With half-inch margins all around and 11-point TNR, that holds about the same content as a trade paperback page — call it 400 words. For whatever reason, for me, that’s a much more comfortable sort of space. Two-and-a-half pages that size per day doesn’t seem quite as impossible.Report

2. Avatar Glyph

Reminds me of one of the Simpsons lines that I get a lot of mileage out of IRL, from Season 8’s “Hurricane Neddy”:

“You gotta help us, Doc. We’ve tried nothin’ and we’re all out of ideas!”Report

3. Avatar Russell Saunders

FWIW, I think you’re every bit as funny as Dave Barry.Report

4. Avatar Saul Degraw

Maybe it is something in the Florida water that lets him be this funny. You can always move to Florida…Report

5. Avatar ScarletNumbers

What does this have to Steve Garvey? Barry has a bit of a sordid past, but not to Garvey levels.Report

6. Avatar DensityDuck

“A woman did the most amazing thing with her vagina, a yo-yo, and some fruit. footnote: no, I’m not going to tell you what.Report

7. Avatar Vikram Bath

put that energy into stuff I get paid for.

Don’t you dare.Report

8. Avatar Rufus F.

This is a gem:
    “A number of GM cars — the final total could be as high as four — were not recalled.”

I find that tossed-off one liners are often the best ones. Woody Allen’s “Like this watch? My grandfather, on his death bed, sold me this watch.” comes to mind.Report