I am building a 63 foot ocean voyaging catamaran in my driveway.

David Ryan

David Ryan is a boat builder and USCG licensed master captain. He is the owner of Sailing Montauk and skipper of Montauk''s charter sailing catamaran MON TIKI You can follow him on Twitter @CaptDavidRyan

1. Avatar Patrick says:

Your long term goal is an entire pirate fleet, isn’t it.

Fess up.Report

2. Avatar James Hanley says:

Sounds like you made a smart financial decision as well as one that will pay off psychically when you finish the hull. Double win!

I’m the kind of guy who’s always got a new project but has a hell of a time seeing them through, so your boat building delights and impresses me.Report

• Avatar David Ryan says:

When I was an art student one of my professors advised me, “David, it’s okay to milk it a little.” He said this because as a student my habit was to take an idea to the proof-of-concept stage and then move on to the next thing. This, it turns out, is a life long habit.

Mon Tiki is full of all manner of things unfinished. But she has her COI and she earns. She’s sailed from Montauk to Isla Mirada FLA and back, and I was comfortable. Apparently that’s good enough for me.

“Seeing things through”? Through to what? Through till you’re ready to take on the next thing. If your bills are paid, your house is warm, and your belly’s full, that’s all that really matters.Report

• Avatar zic says:

Having the benefit of something like 40 years as artists, this touches on something both my husband and I see as crucial — any individual piece is typically not a ‘project’ in and of itself; it’s part of an ongoing progression that takes some core idea or concept, and returns to it over and over, in as many different ways as we can imagine to explore that idea or concept. It’s pretty easy to speak of any single piece, that’s how people generally encounter our work, (and I’m with you; it’s the last 5% of detail that’s typically the most difficult to get done and easy to let slip as you move on to the next piece).

But in terms of developing and probing the vision we’re working toward, it’s the ideas and themes we keep going back to revisit; often not realizing it until we’re knee deep; though as we’ve gotten older, this is more obvious. It’s why an artist’s body of work is important to consider to evaluate the artist; that’s where you see the themes, the life-time or multi-year exploration of concept, evolve.Report

• Avatar David Ryan says:

Why is it important to evaluate an artist? You don’t hang the artist on your wall, you hang the painting. I’d no sooner “evaluate an artist” as I’d evaluate a chef.Report

• Avatar James Hanley says:

“Seeing things through”? Through to what?

It would be nice to have at least one room in my house that was actually finished, instead of all of them being in a half-completed state for years. As in, the putty filling the divots in the wood trim around the entryway between dining room and kitchen that needs to be sanded down and painted, but has been there for probably four years. As in doing the backsplash behind the sink and kitchen for which I cut the slate and Johanna patterned it just right two years ago.

I mean the half-hour job of reattaching the gutters I removed this summer so I could repair the roof, and which I can’t do at any time when the roof is slick, which is probably from now until July.

I mean doing some plaster patching in our entryway, then drywalling two walls and the ceiling of it so our months of staring at the insulation don’t stretch into years. (I did get the insulation done, though!)

I don’t mean the whole house as a project–I mean the individual parts of it. And if I never get around to building the in-wall shelves for my office, that’s fine…until I actually begin that project by cutting into the walls and then don’t finish.

And then there’s this textbook thingy…Report

• Avatar zic says:

I’ve never hung a performance by Miles Davis on a wall. I’ll have to give that a try.Report

• Avatar Glyph says:

Interestingly, my next conceptual piece will actually entail hanging an artist on my wall.Report

• Avatar Stillwater says:

Awesome Glyph. Your idea might be the ultimate in pomo conceptual art-making. I mean, this piece wouldn’t even require any of the standard materials used in any other medium. Just living breathing artists. I think you’re onto something here!Report

• Avatar zic says:

She didn’t hang herself on the wall, but Marina Abramovi? was, otherwise, Just living breathing artists.

I’m not all that sure I actually think of this project as ‘art,’ even giving performance art a lot of leeway, but I’m definitely certain that I wouldn’t want to do this, too. I’d rather instigate audience participation via song and clapping and dancing. But whatever floats your boat.Report

3. Avatar Jaybird says:

I think you should carve out some time to get into fights with strangers on the internet anyway.Report

4. Avatar Michael Cain says:

I am building a 63 foot ocean voyaging catamaran in my driveway.

Which is just so cool. Part of me wishes I were retired nearby so I could help. Then the arid high plains part of me reminds me that large bodies of water make me really, really nervous.Report

5. Avatar Stillwater says:

Congrats, Dave. I’m jealous. Not only of the boatbuilding, but the whole damn thing. Have fun!Report