It Was Some Damn Good Cherry Pie, But…

Burt Likko

Pseudonymous Portlander. Homebrewer. Atheist. Recovering Republican. Recovering Catholic. Recovering divorcé. Editor-in-Chief Emeritus of Ordinary Times. Relapsed Lawyer, admitted to practice law (under his real name) in California and Oregon. On Twitter, to his frequent regret, at @burtlikko. House Likko's Words: Scite Verum. Colite Iusticia. Vivere Con Gaudium.

1. Avatar greginak says:

Meh…loved the first season. Pure magic. After that it was an unholy mess. What is there new to say about TP and the characters? What was ground breaking then, won’t be now. It will have so much weight to carry from what people remember about it that it will make it hard to see the new show for whatever it is. Lynch is likely just to do his weird for the sake of weird thing and let people run with the interpretations.Report

• Avatar Burt Likko says:

Yeah, that’s a big part of why I’m apprehensive. Sky-high expectations, tons of threads from the interrupted plot to tie up, and Lynch revels in being intentionally obtuse. I suspect and fear we’ll find that the series was best revisited in homage.Report

• Avatar Glyph says:

TP influence/homage has popped up in all sorts of weird places over the years. The Returned, Top of the Lake, Fringe….

Me, I’m optimistic. 9 hours of a David Lynch movie (he’s directing it all) on a pay cable channel? Yes please.Report

2. Avatar JustRuss says:

I want to believe…..
    But I have a bad feeling about this.Report

3. Avatar Will Truman says:

I just want to know what happened at the end of Season Two. Anything good on top of that is cake. So I think my odds of satisfaction are good.Report

4. Avatar Pinky says:

I don’t see how someone can have the reputation for being innovative when all of his works are identical. No one’s expecting anything from this other than Lynch being Lynch. It’s the Jackson Pollock conundrum: yes, every splatter is carefully planned, and the overall effect is interesting, but it’s also nearly identical to amateur work or parody.Report

• Avatar Glyph says:

all of his works are identical

Wait, that’s not what “identical” means at all.

“Nearly identical to amateur work or parody”: when your last name gets turned into an adjective (“Lynchian”), you’ve clearly brought something to the game that is unusual and distinctive.

It’s miles from amateur; and parody is inevitable whenever someone strikes upon something distinctive.

You might like Lynch (or not), this may be good (or not); but your criticism makes no sense to me.Report

• Avatar Glyph says:

Also, constant reinvention is overrated. If Georgia O’Keefe had only painted one (1) flower, we’d have never heard of her.

Somewhere out there is a single artist, who has made the single greatest painting, song, sculpture, and story of all time.

Unfortunately, he is and will remain forever unknown; for he only made one work in each form. Realizing he had achieved perfection on his first attempt and not wishing to risk repetition, he moved on to places unknown.Report

• Avatar Pinky says:

“Yes, Eraserhead is just like Dune is just like Twin Peaks is just like Straight Story.”

Dune was different. I haven’t seen Elephant Man, but I gather that was different as well. I don’t know about Straight Story.Report

• Avatar Glyph says:

I actually never saw Elephant Man.

Straight Story is really good.

Also, my initial comment comes across kinda jerky upon re-reading. Apologies.Report