Wednesday!

Jaybird

1. Avatar ScarletNumbers

I’m listening to Ernie Johnson call the AL Wild Card game on TBS, but I don’t think this is what you mean.Report

2. Avatar Glyph

Jinx!

I didn’t realize you were doing a Wed. Music Post, so I also threw up a half-assed one that had been sitting around for a while. Sorry.

If you liked that Low/Toto thing, this might blow your mind. It did mine.

“What’s up with Snacking Girl? Is that guy for real? They’re…actually kind of making this pretty. WHAT IS GOING ON?!”Report

• Avatar Jaybird in reply to Glyph

See? When you make a music post, you post obscure stuff that is really awesome…

And I find 17 covers for Toto and sift through them to find my favorite 7.Report

• Avatar Jaybird in reply to Glyph

Dude, that is a great cover. And it does make me remember that the 80’s weren’t all sweetness and light.Report

• Avatar Glyph in reply to Jaybird

the 80’s weren’t all sweetness and light.

Well, we were all being crushed under the conformist boot of Reagan (if you are reading this in the UK, please substitute “Thatcher”).

(No politics!)

Yeah, I think they are trying to make out like they are making fun of the song, but somehow, against all odds, they kind of end up killing it anyway. I might actually see those guys if they came around, just for the sheer WTF of it. I’d say I’ll bring popcorn, but it looks like the keyboardist is already sorted for that. What, does she have low blood sugar or something? She is just destroying that bowl* by the handful the entire time.

*Actually, it occurs to me that the phrase “destroying that bowl” might explain a lot about this performance.Report

• Avatar Chris in reply to Glyph

Is his hair fused to his beard?

Also, the second verse of that song is so spectacular.Report

3. Avatar Saul DeGraw

Lip Synch version

4. Avatar Scott Peterson

Writer Steve Almond analyzes at great length this song, adding in more than a little autobiographical detail:

5. Avatar Troublesome Frog

I had a Metallica cello cover stuck in my head for a while. Some things just work, I guess.

I’m also a fan of beer bottles, both full and empty.Report

6. Avatar Mike Dwyer

Disclaimer: I have a teenage daughter in the house.

These two are making me smile this week:

(My wife and I have taken to replying to our daughter ‘haters gonna hate’ every time she tells us about some drama at school)

(Meghan Trainor’s album is really good by the way)

And a cover: