The Luckiest Man in the World

James Hanley

James Hanley is a two-bit college professor who'd rather be canoeing.

1. Avatar Kazzy

STOP RUBBING IT IN, HANLEY!!!Report

• Avatar James Hanley in reply to Kazzy

If you can just refrain from actually eating your kids, this is what you have to look froward to.Report

• Avatar dragonfrog in reply to James Hanley

When I was in university, and sometimes dropped by to see my mom at her office (she was halfway up an office tower, so I didn’t just happen to be by her office daily) she always kept snacks in her office. I think the concern was more that she would eat a student or colleague than a family member.

My dad would have been as likely to be in a lab as his office, but anyway is better able to keep his composure when hungry. I take after my mom on that front.Report

• Avatar Patrick in reply to James Hanley

I don’t know that he’ll make it that far without imploding.Report

2. Avatar Mad Rocket Scientist

If you’ve managed to raise kids to adulthood in a manner that did not involve overt brainwashing, and they still like you enough to want to visit you daily, you win at life.

Congratulations James!

That said, I may be slightly luckier than you. My son’s daycare shares a (very small) parking lot with my office building. Everyday for lunch (unless I’m stuck on a call or in a meeting), I get to go spend 15-20 minutes with my boy & his class. I’m not sure how other adults make it through the day without being able to stop & spend time wrestling, playing, or reading with a gaggle of toddlers.

I’m not sure how I will when he goes to grade school…Report

3. Avatar Tod Kelly

Wow, exciting times in the Hanley household!

I’m a little jealous of having your kid take a class across the hall where you work.Report

4. Avatar Will Truman

My wife left at sixteen went off to a G&T boarding school, as did one of her two sisters. She’s been open about the fact that she’d like our children to have that same opportunity, if it arose.

Which would break my heart. Sixteen is when kids become a new kind of interesting!Report

5. Avatar LeeEsq

Congratulations.Report

6. Avatar Slade the Leveller

The daily visits are nice, but I’d sure be salivating if some school wanted my kid to come play sports for it while they paid for her education.Report

• Avatar James Hanley in reply to Slade the Leveller

I should have been clearer–DIII. She’s a pretty doggone good swimmer, but DI swimmers are something else altogether, and most of them only get partial scholarships (the travails of being a non-revenue sport, I suppose).

But we are in a consortium of colleges that offer tuition exchange. It’s not automatic, though–they have to decide your kid is worth giving free tuition. We’re crossing our fingers that the swim coach can persuade the powers-that-be that she’s worth it, in which case your point does come into play. It’s all in that zone for which the technical term is “crapshoot.”Report