“And I Wasn’t Dead Anymore”: one story behind ‘A Farewell to Arms’

Rufus F.

Rufus is an American curmudgeon in Canada. He has a PhD in History, sings in a garage rock band, and does a bunch of other stuff.

1. Avatar Road Scholar says:

That was fascinating. And a fine piece of writing itself. I sincerely thank you for this, Rufus.Report

2. and it was Guy, along with Lincoln Steffens, who searched the Gare de Lyon station when Hadley Richardson famously lost Hemingway’s trunk of stories there.

The trunk was gone like it were a cloud. The cloud had visited the station and clouded the station in its shadows and the shadows hid the missing trunk. And in the cloudy station the stories were nowhere to be found and the trunk was gone. I wish I had saved the stories on a cloud.Report

3. Avatar Chris says:

Love these. Love them even more when they have FMF references.Report

4. Avatar zic says:

Wonderful.

Have you done any agent-locating stuff?Report

• Avatar Rufus F. says:

Thanks!

I’ve done a wee bit. Mostly working on drafting a good query letter. Also, since I’ve been sort of drafting/outlining all of the chapters at once, I think I need to get one or two fully drafted first. Though, to be honest, I have mostly vague notions on all of this.Report

• Avatar zic says:

This is where a workshop/working group might help; a regular meetup to share and critique progress. It helps eliminate working-in-a-vacuum syndrome. I’ve done a couple, back in the day, one organized through the adult ed programs in Cambridge, MA, a follow-up with people I met in that workshop. (I think being in an area where there are a concentration of writers is helpful here; so this might be dependent on where you’re located.)Report

• Avatar Rufus F. says:

I’ve thought about doing this. It would probably help too in making connections. Part of the challenge is finding other historical writers around here who might see the value in this work. It’s a good idea, thanks!Report