Weekend!

Jaybird

1. Avatar Will Truman

What I do will be constricted by what Lain lets me do, which hasn’t been much lately. She’s going through a really hyper mess-with-everything phase.

I’ve been hard at work running triage on older computers. This has had me swimming in the Linux pool quite a bit. I’ve made the transition from LXDE to XFCE. The former has a bit of a lighter footprint, but the latter gives me enough customization to make up the difference. By Thinkpad model number most recent to oldest, the verdicts and progress are:

T61 – Windows 7 until further notice.
    X61 – Upgraded from Linux Mint 14 to LM17. Repurposing it, though I’m not sure what for yet. The only down side is that I can’t get Chrome/Chromium working right on it. The former won’t install and the latter is visually distorted. But Firefox works on it fine.
    T60p (15″) – Linux Mint, XFCE – This one has some serious overheating problems, so it’s on limited duty as I can only use it for about an hour at a time. I am likely to take this one and put it in the baby’s room, so while waiting for her to fall asleep I have something to do.
    T60p (14″) – Probably dead. Its fan is loud and obnoxious, but mostly it has trouble booting up.
    R52 – Busted screen. Still usable, but same issues as with the R32 below.
    T42p – Fedora Linux 19, LXDE – Neither Mint nor Ubuntu would install on this one, but Fedora did. It’s a temperamental machine that stopped properly loading XP some time back, though did load Vista but the resource-strain on Vista was such that it was hard to use. I can’t get the video codecs working on it, which bugs the heck out of me but at the same time I can’t think of any reason that video files would be a necessity.
    T40 – I haven’t touched this one yet. I may not bother. It’s currently serving as the media PC for the old CRT set (bless old Thinkpads for having S-Video out). The security concerns with XP are mitigated by the fact that it doesn’t do much on the Internet and I can maybe just turn Internet connectivity off?
    R32 – Busted screen still busted. With XP I can use video out, but that doesn’t work with Linux drivers. And it’s a really, really old machine. I could get this working again, but why?Report

2. Avatar Maribou

Yeah, my life is much like Jay’s – no poison spiders, but less lethal equally wtf occurences. We’re having a week. I’m look forward to my last “formal” (ie people are invited) Friday evening on the porch tonight, gaming on Saturday, but most of all to attempting to catch up a little on my sleep….

I really thought once I was out of school I’d be able to go back to at least 56 hours of a sleep a week, but it is SO not working out that way this summer.Report

• Avatar Glyph in reply to Maribou

Weirdly, a friend of mine just got a spider bite too. Not poisonous, but gave her a staph infection and has a pretty big/angry welt, so she’s on antibiotics.

Little eight-legged swine, plotting in their tiny arachnid brains…wtf, spiders, I thought we were cool?!Report

• Avatar Tod Kelly in reply to Maribou

Evenings on the porch are awesome. Living in PDX, where you have a limited number of times you get to do it in any given year makes it one of my favorite things to do each summer.Report

• Avatar Maribou in reply to Maribou

@tod-kelly , I am limited not by weather so much, but by schedule – in a few weeks I’ll be working 2pm-10pm on Fridays again. That schedule has a lot of upsides, but socializing ain’t one of ’em.

I forgot, but I’m also pretty excited that Sunday my friend and I are watching Outlander together. I haven’t had a tv buddy other than Jaybird in quite some time…Report

3. Avatar James Hanley

My 23rd anniversary with the beautiful Johanna, so tonight is a dinner cruise on the Detroit River.

Tomorrow is teaching #1 daughter to parrallel park so she can take her driver’s test. If I had thought about such things 24 years ago… (Just kidding, my love!)Report

4. Avatar Miss Mary

My big sister’s birthday is tomorrow! We’re doing a family lunch today. 🙂 I love birthdays. I’ll also be taking Junior to see the new Planes movie tonight. No plans for Saturday or Sunday. Ahh.Report

5. Avatar Tod Kelly

Not too much planned at the moment, but most parenting. Much, much parenting.

sigh…Report

6. Avatar Mike Dwyer

Back to school for us this week. I love it. Routine has returned! Normal bedtimes! Homework! It’s awesome.

Birthday party for oldest daughter tomorrow. 20! I cannot believe it’s been two decades of parenthood for me. She requested a pasta bar which should be pretty easy for the 15 guests. Boil pasta. Make a few sauces. Heat up some meatballs and grill a few chicken breasts. Zap some garlic bread and call it done.

Sunday is reserved for the Kentucky State Fair. I will definitely be doing a post on this one. It’s glorious fun. The highlight of my summer.Report

7. Avatar Chris

Black widow? Ouch.

Probably going to see a movie with the teenager.Report