Hanley’s Old House, Episode 3

James Hanley

James Hanley is a two-bit college professor who'd rather be canoeing.

1. Avatar Michelle says:

Good luck to you on your various projects–it’s quite an impressive list. We have a 1920s era house, but would never attempt to do major work ourselves for fear of how it would turn out. I’ve done some work in the backyard creating planter boxes and a shade garden where once there was mostly dandelions. And I’m in process of painting most of the upstairs–two rooms down, the upstairs foyer and biggest bedroom to go. I’d never dream of ripping out walls though, or putting in new flooring. And the Russian. Well, let’s just say manual labor is not his forte.

More power to you. I look forward to future updates.Report

2. Avatar notme says:

Maybe you can find one of Obama’s new illegals to do the work for you.Report

• Avatar Mike Schilling says:

Do you mean Kenyans or Hawaiians?Report

• Avatar notme says:

No, all of the illegals currently surging across the southern boarder. It’s been in the news. The feds have been catching and releasing them.Report

• Avatar James Hanley says:

@notme
      The guy who’s helping usually has illegals working for him. And good for him I’d say. Anyone willing to work that hard to get to America deserves a job more than someone who didn’t do anything harder than just be born here.Report

3. Avatar Lyle says:

It is interesting that you are seeing the same sorts of things I saw on Holmes on Homes. That in the past often homeowners “improved” their homes without really knowing what they were doing, you door is one example. they have shown really screwed up electrical, and plumbing, such as drain pipes that are slightly canted uphill from the sink. It seems to me that one thing that is needed is an x-ray vision sort of device to look at framing behind wallboard.Report

4. Avatar Barry says:

Congratulations on the (massive amount of) hard work!Report

5. Avatar Chris says:

Meant to post this the other day (thought I did!). I enjoy these immensely. Your hard work = my enjoyment.Report

• Avatar Glyph says:

Your hard work = my enjoyment.

Dude, stop exploiting the workers.

@james-hanley – how does that drum sifter turn?Report

• Avatar Glyph says:

Never mind, I forgot I can blow up the picture. I thought those hoops were mounted but I see the wheels now. Nifty. With a little work you could rig it to a motor so you don’t have to hand-turn it.Report

• Avatar James Hanley says:

@glyph

You can find videos online of drum sifters attached to motors, which would be vastly superior. Unfortunately my skills don’t extend to rigging up mechanical devices.Report