Stupid Tuesday questions, Michael Gambon edition

Russell Saunders

Russell Saunders is the ridiculously flimsy pseudonym of a pediatrician in New England. He has a husband, three sons, daughter, cat and dog, though not in that order. He enjoys reading, running and cooking. He can be contacted at blindeddoc using his Gmail account. Twitter types can follow him @russellsaunder1.

1. Avatar Saul Degraw

I rotate sheets and towels.

I tend to wear my favorite items of clothing frequently.Report

2. Avatar Kazzy

FIFO! FIFO, I yell at Zazzy!Report

3. Avatar Kazzy

Also, thanks for ruining Gosford Park! Watching it was #74739648463 on my list of things to do.Report

4. Avatar Patrick

I rotate towels and bedsheets.

I don’t bother much with the kids’ clothes, because kids typically outgrow everything anyway before it wears out at the stage(s) my two are at.

There is an exception in that Hannah will wear the same stuff four days out of eight if it happens around the correct part of the laundry cycle, so I’ll sometimes look at the stuff at the top of her piles and say, “She’s worn that a kabillion times recently” and stuff it on the bottom of the pile in the drawer.Report

5. Avatar Barbara

I rotate everything.Report

6. Avatar zic

I usually knit in spirals, rotating the work as I go, while watching movies.

And I rotate pizza dough (in the air!), though this was inspired by the dudes at Little Stevie’s Pizza in Boston back in the day I was a young thing hanging out in that neighborhood because it’s where Berklee College of Music is located. (Though there was many a run after Saturday Night Live. . .)

I rotate my tires. Well, I don’t, I have my younger sprout do it, with every oil change. And I also rotate them by seasons; snow tires are a must in Maine.

I think I must not have as many linens/sheets/clothes; I have enough for a washer full, and when I get to the bottom of the clean stuff, I know it’s time to do another load of laundry.

And Russel, I’ve been hoping your family is thriving. I miss your voice here; and really happy you’re keeping up with Stupid Tuesday. Thank you for that effort.Report

7. Avatar Maribou

I informally rotate shirts, bedsheets etc. I rarely have more than 5 bottom-half clothing items in regular work rotation, but I usually have 2 or 3 weeks worth of tops, and I go out of my way to wear them all. Or at least, I theoretically try to rotate them, but if I really want to wear something on a given day, I wear it even if I just wore it last week.

This is partly thrift/sensibleness, but also partly that when I was a kid I didn’t have many clothes that fit at any given time (hand-me-downs suck for youngers, but when you are the OLDEST you wish for handmedowns sometimes….). Also, there were a lot of us so things didn’t always get washed quickly or in an organized fashion (ie some things would end up never getting gotten to and languish at the bottom of the laundry for weeks, while recently worn stuff would be on top and get washed first).. Thus, I often had to rewear the same (clean!) clothes in very close repetition, or the same pants I’d already worn once that week, but which were still more or less clean, and it was embarrassing and awkward.

Is reading books because characters in books like them is too much like the Dr Oz thing to count? Me, I think there’s a difference between reading things I read about in professional collections of book recommendations (Dr. Oz-y) and taking up with writers or musicians or artists’ because of a character’s love for them? In which case, I think “ooh, that’s a good idea” all the time :D. More pragmatically, when I was a kid, I had THE HARDEST time learning to tie my shoes “properly” (almost as hard a time as remembering left and right). Then I read in some book about the easier way to do it (Ramona Quimby, maybe?) and I was QUITE indignant that everyone kept trying to make me do it the hard way. Took me years to convert to the hard way myself. 😀Report

• Avatar Kim in reply to Maribou

I tend to wear the same bottoms to work for a week, or until they get dirty (which rarely happens). I have a few weeks worth of tops in rotation, though I’m going to try and get better about wearing all the brights in a row, so as to have better laundry cycles.Report

8. Avatar Damon

My life is a bit more “complex”. I’ve lived in the same set of towels and sheets (washing them ofc) for several months before I remembered that I had extras in the linen closet / or got around to actually rummaging around in there to find a matching set. Since I have three or four sets, I’ve settled in on a two week cycle of rotation, however, this can be superseeded if I’m too lazy or busy to do laundry.

Yeah, I know.

I do recall that I did pick up a habit or two from watching it on tv, but I’m damned if I can recall what they are……Report

9. Avatar gingergene

I had to turn on the closed-captioning while watching GP in order to understand the “downstairs” folks. Two countries divided by a common language, indeed.Report

10. Avatar ScarletNumbers

So, are we still doing Monday trivia, or did that run its course?

If we are, I have a good one for next week.Report

11. Avatar Pinky

Paraphrasing a bit of dialogue from Frasier:

Daphne: “But I can’t move out! Who would cook your meals, or give you physical therapy, or rotate your underwear, or -”
    Martin: “WHAT?”
    D: “Rotate your underwear.”
    M: “What do you mean, you rotate my underwear?”
    D: “When I do laundry, I throw out any underpants that are getting worn out, and I buy a new pack every month.”
    M: “I never noticed!”
    D: “It’s been 9 years since you bought a pack of underwear? What did you think was going on?”
    M: “I thought I got a really good pack!”Report