Semi-stupid Tuesday questions, Mrs. Whatsit edition

Russell Saunders

Russell Saunders is the ridiculously flimsy pseudonym of a pediatrician in New England. He has a husband, three sons, daughter, cat and dog, though not in that order. He enjoys reading, running and cooking. He can be contacted at blindeddoc using his Gmail account. Twitter types can follow him @russellsaunder1.

1. Avatar Saul Degraw says:

I would basically like to eat everything cooked in Big Night and Eat Drink Man Woman especially the Timballo from Big Night. I’ve never seen it offered anywhere though:

2. Avatar Saul Degraw says:

Tampopo is a great movieReport

3. Avatar James Hanley says:

I met Madeleine L’Engle, briefly, in the 1980s, when she spoke at my college and had a sit down with our creative writing club. Literally the only thing I remember other than her face was how wonderfully nice and gracious she was.

Now for my moment of shameful confession. I tried milk-and-Pepsi because I heard it on Laverne and Shirley. I was sure it would be atrocious, but I wanted to see just how atrocious. I loved it, and I still drink it upon occasion.Report

4. Avatar Tod Kelly says:

I was in my early-30s when I read Iris Murdoch’s The Sea The Sea. At that point in my life, all of my cooking was purposefully complex: curries, thai dishes that required making pastes prior to cooking, sauces that features a dozen or more ingredients. I somehow equated “complex” with “good.”

The opening scene of The Sea The Sea describes at great length the protagonist making lunch of a fresh sliced tomato and olive oil. Murdoch lovingly describes the joy of eating very simple dishes made from high quality ingredients. If someone had told me then I should try just eating a sliced tomato with olive oil I would have ignored them. But the writing was so compelling I went out that day and bought high end olive oil and a heirloom tomato; and with a little kosher salt and light pepper Imade myself a really delicious lunch.

I enjoy doing complicated as well as simple in the kitchen, but that one passage for The Sea The Sea changed he way I look at cooking.Report

5. Hannibal has given me a hankering for fancy food (minus the human-meat, of course!) despite the fact that I am the sort of person that relished eating some scrapple today, and had Spam last week.Report

6. Avatar dragonfrog says:

Fried green tomatoes – I eat so many of these right after the first frost, when we’ve just picked all the tomatoes in a rush without regard to ripeness. Delicious!Report

7. Avatar Mr. Whipple says:

Don’t finger the liverwurst either.Report

8. Avatar Mike Schilling says:

The one that intrigues me is the beer milkshake from Cannery Row. Never tried it, though.Report

9. Avatar Mike Schilling says:

By the way, which L’Engle books would anyone recommend other than A Wrinkle in Time? Its direct sequels are all really, really, preachy (specifically, Christian, preaching.)Report

10. Avatar LeeEsq says:

I’d like to eat many of the meals described by Zola in the Belly of Paris.Report

11. Avatar dragonfrog says:

Oh, and, from Steppenwolf – bread with mustard and salt.Report

12. Avatar Burt Likko says:

Some friends, Natasha, and I went to Santa Barbara one weekend to have fish and chips from a hole-in-the-wall place that our friends seen Guy Fieri shout to the camera about on “diners drive-ins and dives.” It was damn good fish and chips but no seating.

Not that I needed much of an excuse to take a day trip to Santa Barbara in the first place.Report

13. Avatar Mike Dwyer says:

Just happened to notice the mention of liverwurst in this post. One of my favorite foods in the world though I have never had it with cream cheese. Growing up with a German grandmother it was a staple.Report