Tough, Updated

Glyph

Glyph is worse than some and better than others. He believes that life is just one damned thing after another, that only pop music can save us now, and that mercy is the mark of a great man (but he's just all right). Nothing he writes here should be taken as an indication that he knows anything about anything.

1. Avatar Russell Saunders

I am so sorry your (I assume this little one is yours?) daughter has been sick. Pneumonia, viral or otherwise, can be scary. But I’m glad she’s doing better, and hope you get to take her home soon.Report

2. Avatar Saul DeGraw

Who taught her to salute? Are you American Dad, Glyph?

I am glad your daughter is okay and on the road to recovery.Report

• Avatar Pinky in reply to Saul DeGraw

Nah, she’s just shading her eyes from the lights. It’s tough to sleep in a hospital, with all the lights and sounds.

This is good news.Report

• Avatar Glyph in reply to Pinky

It’s tough to sleep in a hospital

The last couple times I have been in a hospital, I have realized how they are structured to make 100% sure the patient gets positively no rest whatsoever, which would appear to run counter to the mission of “healing/recovering”.

Part of that is staff-to-patient ratios and what that means for “rounds”, and part of it is the number of tests/checks/drug & equipment administrations that must be done (some of which are absolutely necessary, and some of which are probably more “CYA” for the hospital – after all, you don’t want to assume a patient’s just sleeping, then find out they died 4 hours ago.)

Anyway, I understand it, but I don’t like it. I feel like some people might get out a little faster, if they could just get one…good…night’s…sleep.Report

3. Avatar Maribou

What a great picture. Hope you have her back at home very soon.Report

4. Avatar Chris

So glad to see that she’s doing better and already tired enough of the people who keep sticking her with needles that she’s learned how to say “bye bye.”Report

• Avatar Glyph in reply to Chris

It’s like some terrible Skinner/Harlow experiment.

“Will babies learn to talk faster, if we give them sufficient negative reinforcement?”

“Can an infant learn to say ‘leave me the fish alone already!’?”Report

• Avatar Chris in reply to Chris

You should write a book: Intravenous Speech Training: How to Increase Your Child’s Vocabulary By Sticking Her With Needles.

Blurb: Is your infant struggling to learn even simple words? With our proven method, your child will be telling you and pretty much everyone else to fish off and get bent in a matter of days.

Given the obsession with new parenting ideas these days, you’ll probably make a pretty penny (at least some of which should go into a trust for the little one who inspired the book).Report

5. Avatar Kazzy

Wait, she’s talking??? Mayo has mastered yelling at everyone all the time but nothing I can fairly call “talking” yet.Report

• Avatar Glyph in reply to Kazzy

Mayo has mastered yelling at everyone all the time

Time to get him an OT login!

Up ’til now, it’s only reliably been “mama” (with an occasional possible “dada”). But according to my wife the “bye-bye” was distinct.

She’s been waving nurses away the whole time she was there (she likes waving, but normally for greeting), but I guess she felt that wasn’t working.

“I said, GOOD DAY!”Report

6. Avatar LeeEsq

She looks like a brave soldier.Report

7. Avatar Michelle

I’m so glad she’s doing better and will be home soon. She’s adorable.Report

8. Avatar Damon

That is a cute kid.Report

9. Avatar JRG

What a cuuuuuuute baby!Report

10. Avatar Tod Kelly

So very glad to here she’s almost home.Report

11. Avatar Mark Thompson

I’m so sorry to hear you had to go through this. It’s great to hear that she seems to have fought through it!Report

12. Avatar Gabriel Conroy

I’m happy to hear that things seem to be improving. You have my best wishes.Report

13. Avatar veronica dire

Awwwwwwwwwwww!

Cute overload! Warning, all cuteness sensors are in the red!Report

14. Avatar Miss Mary

I’m so glad to hear she is feeling better! Thanks for sharing. 🙂Report