A Splash of Summer

Burt Likko

Pseudonymous Portlander. Homebrewer. Atheist. Recovering litigator. Recovering Republican. Recovering Catholic. Recovering divorcé. Recovering Former Editor-in-Chief of Ordinary Times. House Likko's Words: Scite Verum. Colite Iusticia. Vivere Con Gaudium.

1. Avatar LeeEsq says:

An ice cold lager, a chilled good white or rose wine, or a gin and tonic.Report

2. Avatar Saul DeGraw says:

Beer.

Beer is also my taste of spring, fall, and winter.Report

3. Avatar Saul DeGraw says:

A shandy is quite nice.Report

4. Avatar Mike Schilling says:

Cool, he finally published the next book of …

Oh. Never mind,Report

5. Avatar Tod Kelly says:

Vodka martini up, with muddled basil and fresh squeezed lime and blood orange.

A proposterous drink in December, but a rather perfect one on a warm, late-light June evening.Report

6. Avatar Slade the Leveller says:

2 choices depending on the mood: a Stiegl radler (beer and grapefruit juice), or a gin and tonic made with, and only with, Small’s gin. If you are a gin drinker, do yourself a favor and pick up a bottle of this stuff. You’ll never look back.Report

7. Avatar Alan Scott says:

Ooh, do those have a name? Because they sound delicious.Report

8. I tried a tiny bit of Jack Daniels Honey whiskey. It was good. I’m glad they left nutritional information off the bottle because I think it was probably nothing but honey with a bit of alcohol.

And Christian Brother’s Very Smooth Brandy. That was…frightening. It barely tastes alcoholic despite being 40 proof. I felt like I understood how people could get alcohol poisoning once trying that.Report

9. Avatar Maribou says:

Frozen (slushy) strawberry mojito. A preposterous drink, but one that always brings me to summer, even in the dead of winter.Report

10. Avatar Mike Schilling says:

Tonight it was damned hot into the early evening, and we were drinking vermouth and soda over ice.Report

11. Avatar Damon says:

Oh dear god I hate campari…

And unlike Tod, I think martinis belong more in winter, next to a fireplace, while waiting for the hostess to call us down to be seated for dinner…

Nope, it’s gin and tonics or mint juleps. Or some light refreshing wines- Tavel perhaps?

@Slade the Leveller
    I’ll have to check that gin out.Report

12. Avatar Bert The Turtle says:

Plug for the Gin Rickey here. Shot of gin, juice from half a lime, the corpse of the aforementioned lime, seltzer, ice. Stir together in a Collins glass. I find it to be lighter and more refreshing than a G&T.Report

13. Avatar aaron david says:

Tecate, in cans so cold your fingers stick to them.Report

14. Avatar dragonfrog says:

Gazpacho.

The French 75 (gin, bubbly, lemon juice, simple syrup) is delicious, but daaangerous.

Because to make one, you have to open a bottle of bubbly. And then you have to finish it lest it go flat in the fridge which would be a terrible waste. And having had the first glass as a French 75, you can’t just drink the rest on its own – all subsequent glasses also require gin, lemon juice, and syrup.Report

15. Avatar Kim says:

Summerwine, with a dash of blackberry.Report

16. Avatar Mo says: