Food!

Glyph

Glyph is worse than some and better than others. He believes that life is just one damned thing after another, that only pop music can save us now, and that mercy is the mark of a great man (but he's just all right). Nothing he writes here should be taken as an indication that he knows anything about anything.

1. Avatar Chris

Oh man, I’d forgotten about this, and now I will be listening to “Milkshake” over and over.Report

• Avatar Glyph in reply to Chris

I didn’t realize until I posted this that the video version of that Freestyle Fellowship track was totally different than the one on the album. I swapped it out for the one I know.

Also, can’t believe I forgot

and

and

• Avatar dhex in reply to Glyph

and of course “ice cream” off of only built 4.

that and kelis are great, insanely sexist songs, that i now can’t listen to around my kid.Report

• Avatar Chris in reply to Glyph

Waits had an “Ice Cream Man” too, when he was young and less raspy:

• Avatar Chris in reply to Glyph

When I think of “Ice Cream,” I think of the line about Spuds McKenzie, and I can’t help but think that you’re right not to listen to it around your kids.Report

• Avatar dhex in reply to Glyph

@chris

“When I think of “Ice Cream,” I think of the line about Spuds McKenzie, and I can’t help but think that you’re right not to listen to it around your kids.”

also, “i love you like i love my dick size”.

my wife’s favorite* game is when i explain every single line to her e.g. “see, what he’s saying is that if he were naked, he’d ejaculate on her, because she’s so pretty”. or “they’re using ice cream flavors as a stand-in for women sorted into broadly defined racial categories”.

* by favorite i mean “least favorite”Report

• Avatar Glyph in reply to Chris

I don’t really know much about Kelis aside from “Milkshake”, but I guess she’s actually a sauce chef and her new album is called ‘Food’.

Dang it, I also forgot MF Doom’s ‘Mm…Food’.Report

2. Avatar zic

And there’s Mingus (singing ’bout Charlie Parker, supposedly getting a BJ in the back seat of a car while eating fried chicken. . .)

3. Avatar Chris

Oh, “I don’t eat no eggs, ’cause they’re high in cholesterol!” Dunno how I forgot that one.Report

4. Avatar Mike Schilling

How about the Rutles?

Or the Flaming Lips?

Or (you knew it was coming) Bach?

5. Avatar Maribou

This is only very marginally about food, but I couldn’t help thinking about it after all those chicken songs you posted (mostly because back when MTV2 still played videos, they used to play it ALL THE TIME OH MY GOODNESS. Jaybird and I had it memorized and would randomly start reciting it to each other, say in the car, or at the laundromat, or like that.)

6. Avatar krogerfoot

There should be more songs about buildings and food.Report

7. Avatar Glyph

How’d I forget the JB’s?

(The OTHER J.B.)

8. Avatar Chris

The interview at the end is kinda interesting too.Report

• Avatar Glyph in reply to Chris

Wow. I just tripped out to another dimension.

Actually, I wonder which genre has more food references – psychedelia has a LOT of ‘forbidden fruit’ songs:

But your ‘soul’-related genres have a lot of ‘music as community/soul food’ metaphors (or just stories); if I had gotten around to writing text for this post, that would have been its main thrust:

9. Avatar Glyph

It’s not midnight yet:

10. Avatar Brandon Berg

Jambalaya on the Bayou!Report

11. Avatar Tod Kelly

Can’t leave out beans & cornbread.