I wanted to take a moment to update everyone on Leaguefest.
As a reminder, Leaguefest will be happening in Washington DC this year, the weekend after Memorial Day May 30-31.
Last year Mark reserved a bunch of rooms in Chicago only to discover that almost no one decided to stay there. And I believe that many who are coming have already said they will be staying with friends or family. Because of this, we’re not going to reserve a bunch of rooms this year. However, we will have an official hotel recommendation:
I’m choosing this hotel for three reasons:
- It’s centrally located on Capital Hill, and if you make your reservation late and they are booked up — or if you decide you would prefer a luxury, high-end hotel — there are a bunch of other hotels within a few blocks.
- It seems quite nice, and has a pool.
- It’s incredibly affordable by DC standards, and budget was they biggest potential hurdle most people who said they were on the fence about coming gave for being on said fence. Right now, you can go here and book rooms for between $119-129 per night.
Historically, we gather for drinks on Friday evening, a dinner on Saturday evening, and there are multiple events going on during the days.
I would like to reserve spots in a nice bar and restaurant by April 30. Before I do, however, I need to get some feedback from you all. So if you are considering coming, please answer these questions in the comments section below, or email directly.
- Any dietary restrictions, or foods you simply cannot tolerate? (I don’t want to do, say, a steakhouse if we have vegetarians.)
- Assuming we can share cab costs, is everyone okay venturing away from Capitol Hill to hip, hep, happenin’ neighborhoods such as Adams Morgan for either night?
- Regarding dinner: will you have a kid-let in tow, and if so approx age so we can pick an appropriate place?
In addition to all of the touristy things people can do in the day time, Boegiboe has informed me that NASA will be having a Friends & Family Day on Sunday, June 1st from 1-3pm. He might be able to take a few Leaguefesters. There will be spacecraft, speakers and videos, plus NASA engineers there with their own families.
If this sounds like something you might want to do, please let me know soon and I’ll pass that on to Scott. Be aware that because this is at a NASA facility, those who are not US citizens might need special approval in advance.
As for Saturday activities, I have had multiple requests for three activities: Going to see a the Washington Nationals play the Texas Rangers, going to the Smithsonian, and a walking tour of DC.
Do people have a preference, or is there something you’d like to do that you’d like to throw out as a possibility?
Thanks in advance to everyone for their answers.