Orbology!

Mike Schilling

Mike has been a software engineer far longer than he would like to admit. He has strong opinions on baseball, software, science fiction, comedy, contract bridge, and European history, any of which he's willing to share with almost no prompting whatsoever.

1. Avatar James K

Ah, Lu-Tze you scamp.Report

2. Avatar North

The best line of the book: “Thou shalt not expose thy god to market forces!”Report

3. Avatar Will Truman

So disappointed that I wasn’t able to keep up! Especially that I missed the most memorable part of the book, which was the difference between trivial truths and fundamental truths as laid out by Vorbis.

Brutha working through his cognitive dissonance was brilliantly executed.

The fisherman from the fisherman’s kingdom encapsulates (along with their god) something I really like about Pratchett’s writing. I can’t even explain what.Report

• Avatar Mike Schilling in reply to Will Truman

Perhaps the perspective he introduces. He’s there as comic relief, what with being from a tiny, weird, unheard-of tribe that hasn’t advanced beyond catching fish and eating them raw and whose god can’t tell whether one is bigger than fifty-one. On the other hand, his reaction to a bunch of random strangers is to offer them food and try to make friends with them, while their goal is to kill, sack, and loot. Who’s the advanced group, again?Report

4. Avatar Maribou

I just wanted to say thank you for running this book club. I’ve been too harried to participate much but I really enjoyed reading the posts and comments on this book I know and love.Report

5. Avatar Patrick

Dammit, B5! I knew I forgot something this week! Bwargh!Report

6. Avatar Jason Tank

This was a great read, and I’m glad I finally popped my Pratchett cherry. I want to read more, to catch more of the little throwaway jokes that had to be explained to me (like the orangutan).Report