Weekend!

Jaybird

1. Avatar Glyph

That sucks JB. If they are anything like here, the cops won’t put a lot of (read: any) effort into catching the guy (though maybe CO cops have some free time on their hands, now that they don’t have to bust potsmokers?) I’m guessing they didn’t dust the brick 😉

Are there any security cameras in the vicinity of your parking spot that might have caught the action (gas stations/convenience stores/ATMs)? If so, maybe you could ask them to review their tapes. Make the Surveillance State work for you for once.Report

2. Avatar Maribou

They weren’t actually bricks? They were big giant stones. From the neighbor’s front yard. Had one of those awkward conversations with the neighbor about “someone stole your stones to break our car, sorry and/or did you hear anything?”

Good times.

I spent 4 hours on the phone with various entities this morning, being very specific about what exactly was wrong with the car. Wanted to call in sick but instead I came to work, ran my own meeting, and then tried valiantly to focus and accomplish things for the rest of the day.

I can’t even think about what will happen tomorrow yet, let alone the weekend…

.Report

3. Avatar Stillwater

The best title I was able to come up with was – “The glass is half empty”?

That really sucks Jaybird. Sorry to hear it. What a f***ing hassle. Maybe you could sue the guy with the rocks for something. Rockless endangerment? You know, distribute the pain a bit.Report

4. Avatar NewDealer

That sucks.

I have a friend’s birthday party tomorrow night. Unfortunately she lives on an island that does not have direct BART access and I am planning my route. I can take BART to a stop in Oakland and bus it or take AC transit from downtown SF straight to the Island. And then I have to figure out how to get back. The closest BART is not the safest part of Oakland.

Other than that working. I am picking up extra assignments from attorneys for the experience/cash.Report

5. Avatar LeeEsq

On Friday, I’m going to watch a friend dance in a performance. On Saturday, a banya for a friend’s birthday. On Sunday, I do laundry and clean the apartment.Report

6. Avatar zic

JB, that sucks.

If it’s any consolation, since ME now places a low priority on enforcing prohibition, there has been some uptick in the solving of actual crimes. Just last week, they arrested someone here for a string of car-window smashings & thefts. It’s one of the first crimes our local PD’s actually solved in what seems like decades.

Something about incentives to still be needed or something?

Wishing more of the same there.Report

7. Avatar Mike Schilling

“Like Ignatz Loves Krazy Kat”

That does suck, though.Report

8. Avatar Damon

Time to move baby!Report

9. Avatar Jaybird

In talking to Maribou, it seems that the neighbor had his window smashed in as well and his (sweet) stereo stolen. Our stereo is sweet, as far as I am concerned, but it is still a factory stereo and, thus, not worth stealing.

Which makes me realize that the stealing of stereos had fallen off of my radar.

That was a nice run.Report

10. Avatar Chris

Ugh, that sucks. Well, at least it was just windows.

We have SXSW stuff all weekend, and all week, which means a combination of going downtown intentionally and avoiding downtown like the plague, depending on the day and the hour. Tomorrow we’re going to a puppy happy hour, though. A puppy happy hour. Let me say that one more time: a puppy happy hour. A happy hour at which you drink alcohol and pet puppies.

I fully expect TABC to raid it based on some obscure 19th century liquor law that says there shall be no more than 3 puppies within 100 yards of an establishment that sells alcoholic beverages.Report

• Avatar Maribou in reply to Chris

Oh man. I need a puppy happy hour like nobody’s business. That is the BEST IDEA EVER.Report

• Avatar Johanna in reply to Chris

Queens College student association offers a puppy room during finals and there have been animal cafes in Asia (cats,dogs, rabbits, goats) for some time and now they have recently popped up in Europe. The first (official) cat cafe is slated to open in Oakland, CA. Credit goes to daughter #1 for introducing me to thisReport

• Avatar dragonfrog in reply to Chris

Oh my goodness! If there was any way of arranging a puppy happy hour at which small children are welcome, I would, uh, on second thought it’s probably good there isn’t such a thing. Because while my daughter would get to pet a lot of puppies, I would be perpetually drunk and broke.Report

11. Avatar Dman

Gaming this weekend. Going back to Vornhiem and my drunken were-lion bard.Report

12. Avatar Fish

That sucks heaps, JB. And since we’re no longer young, here’s to hoping that a single deductible will pay for all window repairs!

Way back in 1997, my truck had a window ssmashed and the stereo taken. I reported it to CSPD and they sent an officer to take a statement, but we all understood that it was for crime statistics and not for any real chance of catching the crook. I was less upset about the loss of the stereo than I was about the loss of the disks in it (in-dash changer), and glad that Crooky McCriminal hadn’t destroyed my dash while practicing his “art.”Report

• Avatar Maribou in reply to Fish

Yes, it’ll be 1 deductible, the insurance company promised already. (It’s a matter of replacing 3 of the windows, and figuring out how to get the glass out of the dash, and fixing the hood…)

Upside, the car we had to rent? Is a pretty sweet ride. (Since it’s a Nissan Versa, that makes me feel pretty darn old all on its own.)Report

13. Avatar dragonfrog

Boo to car smashers.

I talked to my parents last night, and their car apparently got rear-ended while parked outside their house the day before. It will probably be totalled off, being a reliable but decidedly non-luxury 22 year old vehicle.

Mrs. DF is out of town for work this weekend – a rehearsal and production meeting for the show she’s designing – so it’s just me and the sprog for the weekend.

I’m rebuilding the home network in prep for switching ISPs; I got a small computer to serve as the firewall; that will doubtless take countless hours of tinkering to get satisfactorily working (already I’v got a choice between cudgelling the firewall distro I’ve chosen into recognizing the wireless interface, or replace the firewall distro).Report

14. Avatar Reformed Republican

I have a date for lunch tomorrow. I have not been on a date in a while (because I have not been looking), so this is exciting.

Also, one would think asking a lady for a date would get easier, especially when she has been giving clear indications of interest, but I still choke up like a fishing high schooler.Report

15. Avatar Maribou

Alright, now that I’m at work, it’s quiet, I’ve had about a jillion microaffectionate interactions today, and there’s only 2.5 hours left in my work week, I can think about the weekend.
    Tonight: I’m going straight to bed. Might do some homework if I accidentally get a 2nd wind.
    Saturday: SLEEP IN. Homework. Gaming (yay yay yay yay).
    Sunday: SLEEP IN. All of the homeworks. SLEEP MORE.
    (last week I got about … *counts on fingers* 40 hours of sleep. In 7 nights. I’m not a freaking medical resident. need to sleep more.)Report

16. Avatar Miss Mary

Dang, that sucks. 🙁

I’m house and kid sitting for a friend this weekend. I miss my own bed.Report