Lent!

Jaybird

1. Avatar KatherineMW

I’m planning to give up spending time on online fansites, as it’s a massive waste of my time.

Out of curiosity, why do you give things up for Lent despite being an atheist?Report

2. Avatar NewDealer

Nothing! I’m Jewish. We give up leavened products for a week during Passover. Much easier.Report

• Avatar North in reply to NewDealer

Bite your tongue heeb*! You’ll have my breads when you pry them from my cold dead (possibly diabetic) hands.

*This is meant humorously but could easily be construed as offensive in which case I apologize profusely in advance.Report

3. Avatar dexter

About forty years ago I gave up religion for lent and since then have given up nothing for lent.
    We went to the parades in New Orleans last Sunday and had a blast.Report

4. Avatar Maribou

As you know, honeybear, I am finishing grad school for Lent (and the week or two following).

The list of things I am giving up to do so is ever-growing.Report

5. Avatar Pierre Corneille

For the last two years, I gave up alcohol for Lent. I’m not sure if I’ll do so this year. If I don’t, I’m not sure what I’ll give up, if anything.Report

6. Avatar dragonfrog

Oh boy, is it Lent tomorrow? I had entirely forgotten. Well, now I am vindicated in having made too much french toast for kiddo’s breakfast and getting to eat the excess.

As atheist as I am, I do find Lent a valuable exercise. I’ll have to come up with a thing to give up. Facebook seems a likely candidate, though I’ll probably welch out somewhat so as not to miss all invitations the whole time. The amount I don’t like the idea of giving up alcohol suggests that’s also a good idea.Report

7. Avatar Jason Tank

I try to give up laziness and loafing around by imposing a daily craft of some sort. Last year, I had to write a page of something, anything, every day. This year I’m adding the options of taking a conceptual photograph or a video for youtube.

And I will also try the “no meat on Fridays” rule, too.Report

8. Avatar Michelle

I’m reading Dante’s Purgatorio with Dreher, an interesting thing for a nice Jewish girl to be doing. I’ve been fascinated by his writings on the subject. Besides, ever since first reading Philip K. Dick’s The Transmigration of Timothy Archer eons ago, I’ve wanted to read The Divine Comedy. Now’s as good a time as any.Report

9. Avatar Tod Kelly

No desserts, anything with added sugar or sweeteners, processed food, or any food that contains processed food.Report

• Avatar trumwill in reply to Tod Kelly

Portlanders.Report

• Avatar Glyph in reply to Tod Kelly

I don’t want to sell anything bought or processed, or buy anything sold or processed, or process anything sold, bought, or processed, or repair anything sold, bought, or processed.Report

• Avatar Chris in reply to Tod Kelly

Are you giving up everything but USDA organic or Oregon organic or Portland organic?Report

• Avatar Tod Kelly in reply to Chris

Basically, I will only eat either whole foods, or foods made of nothing but whole foods. So, for example, I can’t have mustard on a piece of ham unless I actually make the mustard from scratch.

I will allow myself to have things with natural sugars in them (e.g.: an orange) but not something that adds sugar to something that doesn’t already have it (e.g.:sugar in coffee). Which also means that I can have bullet bourbon on the rocks, but I can’t can an old fashioned.

I kind of wanted it to be complicated (especially when eating out) so that it forced me to be very aware and in the moment about my food selection.Report

• Avatar Chris in reply to Chris

I think it’s an excellent idea, actually. The Buddhist in me (he’s very small, but he has a big belly) thinks we should all do things like this to be more present in everything we do. Modern life is too often about being un-present, about not so much forgetting as never encoding in the first place, about not thinking but merely coasting through action. Speed over consciousness.

But I was really just making a Portlandia joke ;).Report

• Avatar Kazzy in reply to Chris

@tod-kelly

You can’t find a mustard made with only whole foods?

This is generally how I eat, though I’m not dogmatic about it. I am aided by the fact that the dining room at work has a similar philosophy of food. My general rule is that i should have an idea of whatever the ingredients look like in their natural state. So if a pasta box tells me it contains durum wheat, water, and salt in it, I’ll go for it. I recognize there are all sorts of workarounds when it comes to labeling but, again, there is only so much time in the day. But with the exception of whole grains (e.g., rice, beans) and kitchen staples (e.g., oils, herbs), I’d say about 80% of our grocery shopping comes from the edges of the store — what is perishable. Lots of produce and proteins and some dairy mixed in.

Though we’re not above getting the occasional Big Mac.Report

• Avatar KatherineMW in reply to Tod Kelly

Do you live on a farm, or are you just planning to fast for forty days?Report

10. Avatar Kim

For Lent? Nothing — I’m Jewish.
    Nonetheless, this is the year I give up cleaning up broken glass.Report

11. Avatar Pinky

Very illuminating thread. Me, I’m adding some extra spiritual reading and prayers.Report

12. Avatar North

I’m giving up chastity for Lent. That’s the line I’m trying on the husband anyhow.Report

13. Avatar Michael Drew

Maybe I’ll give up internet commenting for Lent. (I could try for the internet itself for entertainment – including news/politics – but that would end in ridiculous failure. But so will the other thing, so…)Report

14. Avatar Will H.

I was just about to give up making smart-ass comments on blogs, and then I decided against it.
    Lucky you!Report