Awesome!

Glyph

Glyph is worse than some and better than others. He believes that life is just one damned thing after another, that only pop music can save us now, and that mercy is the mark of a great man (but he's just all right). Nothing he writes here should be taken as an indication that he knows anything about anything.

1. Avatar KatherineMW

When I saw the trailer for this thing, I thought it looked like the worst movie in the world, along the lines of Epic Movie, Meet the Spartans, and similar crap.

With the number of recommendations it’s garnering, I may actually have to go see it.Report

• Avatar Glyph in reply to KatherineMW

If something pitched halfway between Toy Story and Robot Chicken sounds like your bag, I’d recommend it. I liked it a lot.Report

• Avatar Jaybird in reply to KatherineMW

Maribou and I saw it on Saturday and we loved it. It was downright funny. It made pop culture references that were funny (as opposed to the “Look! Paris Hilton! Look! Amy Winehouse!” variant). There were jokes for the kids stacked on jokes for the adults and both of the jokes were funny.

Here’s an example: the #1 Sitcom Comedy in Lego City is “Honey, Where Are My Pants?”

That’s some good layering there.

I put it up there with Monsters Inc, on the kiddie movie scale.Report

2. Avatar Alan Scott

The Boyfriend is a gigantic Lego fan and rarely sees movies in theater because of work schedule, so this became our Valentine’s day outing. I, too, was skeptical from the trailers, but my Facebook friends were saying good things.

It is my favorite 3d animated movie of all time.Report

• Avatar Glyph in reply to Alan Scott

It’s the little Simpsons-esque bits I keep flashing back to – Emmett is Homer-esque more than once (his endless fall that recalls the Springfield Gorge jump, his doofy inner monologue while Wildstyle is expositing, and my favorite – his individualized greeting to each cat, that lets you know by tone that there’s bad blood involved in one case).Report

• Avatar NewDealer in reply to Alan Scott

OT: When did it become popular to say The Boyfriend or The Boy instead of my boyfriend?

I don’t think I’ve noticed men saying “The girlfriend” or “the girl” instead of my girlfriend?

Does the make it seem less possessive than my/mine?

When I see things like The Boyfriend, I think in terms of some sort of collective Onion headline like this one:

• Avatar Will Truman in reply to NewDealer

The Boy has been going on for a while now. I’ve always kind of considered it a bit odd.

The boyfriend I think is an extension of “the husband” or “the wife” which has been the case for as long as I can recall.Report

• Avatar Glyph in reply to NewDealer

Hmmm. I didn’t know this was a thing. I usually refer to my son as The Boy around here. Now I am wondering if that is being misinterpreted.

(Not that there’s anything wrong, yada yada.)Report

• Avatar Alan Scott in reply to NewDealer

I pretty much just use “the boyfreind” on OT, and in contexts where I would simply refer to him by name offline. I’m strongly influenced by Russell and his “The Better Half” et al.

There’s an element of possessiveness I’m trying to avoid, certainly. But I’m also trying to connote an element of permanence/seriousness that’s not always attached to “Boyfriend” by using articles that are more commonly attached to “Husband” and “Wife”.Report

• Avatar Glyph in reply to Patrick

I have been singing that ALL DAY.Report

• Avatar mark boggs in reply to Glyph

The day after I saw the movie with my kids, I was leaving their Mom’s house and about 5 houses down, one of the neighbor kids was outside and he sang the first verse, “Everything is Awesome!” really loud and I immediately answered him back with the next verse, and pretty soon, he and I were singing it back and forth to each other. I felt kind of silly but proud I could engage this kid on his level.Report

3. Avatar Mike Dwyer

Okay – this is like the 10th extremely positive review I have seen. I have officially gone from ‘interested in catching it on DVD’ to ‘I’ll be at the movie theater next week’.Report

4. Avatar Rod

Yup. Absolutely concur. And the best way to see it is the way I did, with a nine-year old. It’s fun and goofy and.. just roll with it.Report

5. Avatar Maribou

Jaybird and I also both enjoyed this movie A LOT. I’m sure we’d have more to say about it but we are without internet or phone at home *frown*. I’m supposed to be doing homework, but I just wanted to say, HI EVERYBODY WE HAVE NO INTERNET OR PHONE AND WE MISS YOU.Report

6. Avatar North

Saw it, was bemused/amused and nodded in approval at the underlying message. I wouldn’t say I loved it but I definitly enjoyed it and didn’t regret paying to see it. My overriding thought walking out of the movie is that it’s got to be one of the most successful naked product placement movies in the history of the genre. The execs at Lego must be absolutely exstatic.Report

7. Avatar Dman

I thought this was a great movie. Definitely one of me top animated movies (with Toy Story and Monsters Inc.). I went with my five year old son. He thought the first part of the movie was good, but did not like the father/son stuff and started to ask when the movie was going to be over. Probably just a little too young for that.Report