Weekend!

Jaybird

1. Avatar Maribou says:

We’ve fought long and hard over the past few weekends

May it be duly noted that Jaybird did all the fighting. I was doing homework. And he keeps doing the lion’s share of the errands, and I keep doing homework.

A romantic state of affairs. (Truly.)Report

2. Avatar Slade the Leveller says:

Heading down to Knox College in beautiful Galesburg, IL to dine with my daughter, and, apparently, buy her some pants that fit. Remember going away to college and simultaneously discovering beer and losing your waistline?Report

• Avatar NewDealer says:

College is where I got to eat all those really unhealthy foods that my parents kept out of the house. Also there was cake and pie at every dinner.Report

3. Avatar Will Truman says:

Lots of snow that needs dealing with. There was much shoveling today, and there will be more shoveling tomorrow. I got a big piece of help today when some guy in a John Deere looked at me working and just plowed the driveway. The poor dog has had to re-evaluate the whole landscape in attempting to poop. She held it in for about two days and then finally today decided that it wasn’t the end of the world to poop in the little area I dug out out for her. She then jumped with glee and to kick some dirt over it and transformed into a dogsized crater in the snow.

I was planning to go to the recycling center, but… snow. So very much snow.Report

4. Avatar dragonfrog says:

Tonight, I hope, as little as possible.

Saturday my wife is dancing in and stage managing a show, and – mirabile dictu – we have a babysitter on a Saturday night! So, bellydancing and burlesque and music and fun and not staying late because I have to pick kiddo up from the babysitters.

It’s a long weekend for us too. We’ll probably go skating on Monday. That will be amusing, the talent pool of our party will range from a figure skating coach and seriously talented skater, to our own kiddo who has never been on skates before. I’m somewhere down near kiddo’s skill level.Report

• Avatar dragonfrog says:

Unexpected change of plans. Barfing plague has descended upon casa dragonfrog. At least it didn’t strike until after last night’s show.Report

5. Avatar NewDealer says:

My girlfriend is in the air now and coming to California for a week. Yay school vacation.

We are heading to Napa on Sunday and Monday. Her mom is our designated driver because her mom doesn’t drink. On Tuesday, they are meeting my mom.Report

• Avatar zic says:

Oh, have fun!

I recommend visiting Frog’s Leap.

I haven’t had a drink in over a decade, but if someone put a bottle of their wine in front of me, I’d definitely risk the migraine and have a glass or two.Report

• Avatar Burt Likko says:

I’m jealous! In a good way. Interesting that @zic would send you to Frog’s Leap; I’ll suggest Stag’s Leap for the tasting, although I think if you’re buying, their prices show a bit too much pride. We had an awful experience at Opus One, really did not like the wine at Coppola, refused to even go to Berenger, and had our best experience at Silver Oak but did not feel like taking a second mortgage out to get a case of their marvelous Cabernet. For something a little bit different, try the Prager Port Works. They have dry (well, drier) and white ports as well as the traditional sweet, tawny reds. I’m also a big fan of Taylor’s Automatic Refresher (now called Gott’s Roadside) for the ahi burgers and sweet potato fries. By now, I hope you have reservations for somewhere nice for dinner. Last time Natasha and I were in Napa, we were at CIA Greystone. But really, you can’t go wrong anywhere. Have an awesome time, man. And may it go well with the parents!Report

• Avatar zic says:

Oh my.

Stag’s Leap.

Not Frogs.

Yes, Burt, yes. (Isn’t Frog’s leap a label for the non-vineyard grapes that Stag’s makes?)

It’s been a long time since we were there, and I’m still recovering from yesterday. I’m so grateful you caught this. Thank you. IOU a virtual bottle of of Artemis.Report

• Avatar NewDealer says:

I’m a fan of Stag’s Leap and Quixote is an off-shoot of Stag’s Leap and located on the same property.Report

• Avatar NewDealer says:

We have a reservation at a really nice restaurant on Sunday. This sentence approximates the understatement of the century.

On Monday night, I am taking my girlfriend and her mom to Mustard’s.Report

• Avatar Burt Likko says:

I thought I knew of a maker in Napa called Frog’s Leap, @zic , so I didn’t think anything was out of sorts with your suggestion. I don’t know of any connection between Frog’s Leap and Stag’s Leap, though.

Stag’s Leap is A Serious Winery (not to say it isn’t fun). Frog’s Leap seems to not take itself so very seriously as that.Report

• Avatar James Hanley says:

Sterling’s great if you like Chardonnay (it’s the white “monastery” on the hill, and contra Burt’s refusal, my wife and I always like going to Berenger because it’s a decent tour through their caves. But he’s right; you really can’t go wrong anywhere.Report

• Avatar NewDealer says:

For whites, I generally go for Rieslings, Pinot Grigio, and Muscadets.

I usually prefer reds. Grenaches, Petite Syrahs, and Pinot Noirs are favoritesReport

6. Avatar zic says:

I’m host a knit-along on Ravelry; it officially begins tomorrow, but some of the folk could not wait. It’s incredibly rewarding to work with a group of knitters on one of my designs; a good way to improve my skills. Seeing how people interpret instruction makes for writing better instruction. Not to mention having fans. I certainly had fans while I was writing, but I feel much more vulnerable when it comes to my fashion designs. Here, my vision is just a starting point, and their ingenuity and creativity come into play; sometimes glorious play, sometimes with questionable taste. Yet they all merit respect, even the hot-pink squeaky acrylic . . .

Snow’s removed, which is good, since we got nearly two feet of it. Migraine hangover’s nearly past, so there’s hope that tomorrow, I’ll feel like my clever self again. Sweeties gig cancelled tonight due to snow, tomorrow he’ll be on the road again to entertain people at the piano.

If it’s not too cold, I might break out the snowshoes tomorrow and see if I can find a speck of wilderness away from the sound of combustion engines.Report

7. Avatar KatherineMW says:

Watching the Olympics, especially the US-Russia and Canada-Finland men’s hockey games.Report

8. Avatar aaron david says:

I spent the week re-certifying on this lovely piece of equipment:
    and so will be a complete vegetable this weekend.Report

• Avatar zic says:

Do you do line high-voltage line work?

I always thought the postal line neither snow, nor rain, nor heat, nor gloom of night, nor the winds of change, nor a nation challenged, will stay us from the swift completion of our appointed rounds. would better apply to electrical line workers; out there in all weather, following lines through rough to treacherous terrain.Report

9. Avatar Mike Dwyer says:

Today is for errands, a joint birthday party for two nephews and probably some Olympics tonight. Tomorrow I am firing up the smoker and putting in a couple of fat goose breasts that I have been dying to cook. Hopefully lots of relaxing before a busy week at work. We have a major customer tour coming through next week and there will be the typical last-minute prep of the operation and our team. I feel like this is my final exam after a year on this project. Fingers crossed!Report