Crush!

Glyph

Glyph is worse than some and better than others. He believes that life is just one damned thing after another, that only pop music can save us now, and that mercy is the mark of a great man (but he's just all right). Nothing he writes here should be taken as an indication that he knows anything about anything.

1. Is there a more 90 indie twee name than Tobin Sprout?

2. Avatar Chris says:

Oh man, “Strange Powers” is such an awesome song.Report

3. Avatar Reformed Republican says:

I am spending today with the person I love most–myself. I have joked about baking a red velvet cake, buying a bottle of red wine, and consuming both in their entirety, but there are many reasons that is a bad idea.

I do have my favorite breakup album, Breach by The Wallflowers, on my playlist for today, but that is mostly coincidence. I was talking music with a coworker yesterday, and it came up in discussion, and that gave me a hankering to listen.

• Avatar Glyph in reply to Reformed Republican says:

I’m not sure what my breakup album would be….Walking Wounded is a good one.

But the grass is always greener, eh? What’s the Chris Rock line – life’s a choice between together and bored (or worse), and single and lonely?Report

• Avatar Jonathan McLeod in reply to Glyph says:

For a break-up album, I’m probably going with either Taking Back Sunday:

Or, for that happy-dance-while-you-slit-your-wrists sort of feel, Jimmy Eat World:

Yes, I’m still a bit of emo kid at (broken) heart.Report

• Avatar Glyph in reply to Glyph says:

I’m not sure any genre term went through as many permutations in such a short time as ’emo’. It’s a name, like shoegaze, that nobody in any of the scenes wanted, and it just kept getting passed around like a hot potato.

When I first heard it, it was being applied to Rites of Spring – basically, stuff that wasn’t full hardcore, musically and lyrically. Post-hardcore, essentially.

Then, it was being applied to early Green Day and Screeching Weasel – Buzzcocks-and-Ramones-derived pop-punk, that was safe for girls to listen to because it was melodic and about feelings (mostly apolitical).

Then, it somehow got applied to these sort of proggier bands, like SDRE etc.

Then, it was on bands that were again sort of post-hardcore, and edging into straight-up indie rock like Jawbreaker and Knapsack.

Then it was the bands you name.

Yes, I think after all is said and done, emo is the worst genre name, worse than “shoegaze” or “chillwave”; even though I quite like some of the bands that have been tagged with it over the years.Report

• Avatar veronica dire in reply to Glyph says:

Funny thing is, I sorta drifted away from punk as we moved from the 80’s into the 90’s, so for me “emo” meant Rites of Spring and not much else. Which I loved.

I was emo as fuck, bitches!

Needless to say I was disappointed when I started again paying attention to punk.

That said, I still love to wear mascara and feel sad…Report

• Avatar Jonathan McLeod in reply to Glyph says:

I have yet to decide if “New Sincerity” is the worst or best label ever.

And I agree on the whole emo thing. It took a strange winding path to get from its “emotive hardcore” roots to Dashboard Confessional-esque bands. There was a path there for a while, but now it’s kind of just splatters on a map.Report

• There are NO reasons that’s a bad idea.

I picked up The Wallflowers first album (I think) mainly off the strength of Sixth Avenue Heartbreak. I could never really get drawn into the album, though. Is Breach much different/better/catchier/etc?Report

• Avatar Reformed Republican in reply to Jonathan McLeod says:

If you never got into the first album, I doubt you would get into Breach. It has a different sound, but I do not think it has a different appeal. The track I linked gives a pretty good example of what it sounds like.

The next album, Red Letter Days, seemed to be an attempt to reach a larger audience, so that might appeal to you. I guess it depends on what you are into.

Personally, the lyrics are the biggest selling point of The Wallflowers.Report

• Avatar Patrick in reply to Reformed Republican says:

There are many reasons that is a bad idea.

You’re going to have to list ’em, ’cause I’m not coming up with any…Report

• Avatar Reformed Republican in reply to Patrick says:

I am sure it would be great at first, but I think would end in stomach ache and regret (I think there is a metaphor about bad relationships to be made there). It would not fit with my current fitness goals, either.Report

4. This might be a little too on point for the post:

5. Avatar Glyph says:

I’m so, so sorry if this gets stuck in anyone’s head, but it just occurred to me:

(However, I dig the animated MTV bumper at the start, and the music’s not a bad little electrofunk tune).Report

6. Avatar Maribou says:

This doesn’t really fit into your theme, but as it is Valentine’s Day, and I’m ruminating Jason’s post, and I love this song, I shall post it anyway:

7. Avatar Glyph says:

A REQUEST for commenters embedding YouTube videos: on the YT video’s page, try to click “Share”, then “Embed”, then check the checkbox for “Use Old Embed Code”, and copy/paste that old embed code into your comment here.

For some reason, pasting either the YT page link, or the newer YT embed code, slows page performance down here a lot. Thanks!

(I went though each comment with embedded video, and replaced it myself).Report

8. Avatar Maribou says:

also, EVERY time I listen to Sleater-Kinney, I think “I love them. Why don’t I listen to them more?” Every. Single. Time.Report

9. Avatar NewDealer says:

I’ve been playing DJ all day on facebook. My choices have been:

1. Gene Kelley Medley with Muppets

2. Warm in the Winter by Glass Candy

3. Sugar Magnolia by the Dead

4. Romance by Wild Flag

5. You Better You Bet by the Who

6. Ain’t No Mountain High by Marvin Gaye

7. Cupid by Sam CookeReport

10. Avatar NewDealer says:

Might need to put some Fields or Stars or a standard up next.Report

11. Avatar NewDealer says:

I posted this as my last DJing of the night:

12. Avatar Brandon Berg says:

I just played them all at once. It was neither as glorious as I’d hoped nor as disastrous as I’d feared.Report