Anima!

Chris

Chris lives in Austin, TX, where he once shook Willie Nelson's hand.

1. Avatar Chris

I have to admit this is the first time I’ve written one of these and then just sat around listening to the music. It’s delicious.Report

2. Avatar greginak

Ohhh good stuff. That Lee Fields is killer. He’s on the buy list for this month.Report

• Avatar Glyph in reply to greginak

No doubt, I just downloaded Faithful Man on the strength of this.

Is it my imagination, or do I keep hearing sneaky nods to the OTHER “Wish You Were Here” in the opening chords of this one?

And a Stones cover, from their best album!

This is awesome, Chris. Though I think if all you want is that jacket, you are aiming too low.

This Charles Bradley is pretty good too (Black Velvet! Very, very unlike Green Velvet).

Have you ever listened to Jamie Lidell? He’s a Warp artist, who started out doing electronic stuff then pivoted to doing old-school-style soul. I was into him briefly, but it just doesn’t seem to have the same staying power as the old stuff – part of it is I think the modernized recording techniques, but for whatever reason it sounds like mimicry rather than the real thing; it lacks “depth” (but honestly, that could be my own prejudices and perceptions? If I heard his records with no context, would they sound better to me?)

I think I’ve mentioned Poets of Rhythm before (they are/were a band of German JB’s/Meters/MG’s fanatics) – when I went to grab a video just now, I see that they have an anthology comp out on Daptone (synchronicity!) – this is essentially an ad for it (warning, if you don’t like Edan, he’s in here, wearing a ridic wig for some reason):

• Avatar Chris in reply to greginak

Awesome! Two scores!Report

3. Avatar aaron david

Oh, this is some good stuff! I always liked Shirley Jones, but Lee will be put into the rotation posthaste.Report

4. Avatar Maribou

I cannot WAIT for the vast majority of my coworkers to go home so I can listen to this for the remaining half of my work day. Woot woot.Report