Introduction: U.S. Presidency

James Hanley

James Hanley is a two-bit college professor who'd rather be canoeing.

1. Avatar Chris says:

First, awesome that this is up! I am really excited.

Second, I just want to remind everyone who recommended the tarsier!

Third, there appears to be a problem with the links in the post.Report

2. Avatar NewDealer says:

Is our mascot an owl or a teddy bear?Report

3. Avatar NewDealer says:

Also looks rather awesome.Report

4. Avatar Burt Likko says:

I forgot that we had chosen the Tarsier as our mascot. In my mind, I had lodged the memory of being the Fighting Betta Fish. But then, I voted and didn’t have a chance to follow up or lobby, so I suppose that’s what I get out of the political process for my apathy.

…Huh? Whazzat? The President? Yeah, thanks a lot, Obama!Report

5. Avatar KatherineMW says:

I love the mascot and team name!Report

6. Avatar Mike Schilling says:

How are older editions of The Presidency and the Political System? abe.com has dozens of used copies of those for less than five bucks.

(Disclaimer: I am not associated with abe.com other than spending enough money there to singlehandedly keep them afloat.)Report

• Avatar James Hanley says:

The older the edition, the more chapters will be different, since it is an edited volume that evolves slowly across editions. Most should be the same, though.Report

7. Avatar NewDealer says:

Also, I am guessing we are Division III based on choice of mascot.Report

8. Avatar LeeEsq says:

So we decided that our mascot would be a brown lemur? Its very cute.Report

• Avatar Chris says:

Silly Lee, tarsiers aren’t lemurs, they’re haplorhines like us! Tarsiers are people, tiny creepy-eyed people.Report

• Avatar LeeEsq says:

It really looks more like a limur to me. Limurs are really cute so I’d prefer if our mascot was a lemur.Report

• Avatar Michael Cain says:

Creepy eyes so big that they can’t move in their sockets, so tarsiers have to move their heads to look in different directions. Another piece of useless information, stuck in my head forever, taking up space that might be used for something like the Imperial Presidency…Report

9. Avatar Kazzy says:

Can I walk onto the football, basketball, and baseball teams? Dibs on free safety, power forward, and shortstop!Report

10. Avatar James K says:

I love this initiative, and may have something of my own to contribute at some point. Though I still find the whole university mascot thing utterly bizarre.Report

11. Do we have a paper to write? If so, do you want us to use quotes?Report

12. I recommend another lecture:

“Does the presidency exist? (Re)discovering the discursive presidency in the social imaginary”Report

• Avatar James Hanley says:

You want to be expelled, don’t you?Report

• the “presidency” is the constitutive apex of constructed american political identity, neither separate nor superceding, but immanent in the electoral discourse and the day-to-day contingent decisions of s/his tenure in office, a concept that is itself a valuational construct, subject to the variegated structural requirements to be found in the ever evolving interstices of class and time (who is to say a “president’s” tenure ever ends? who is to say that the power is never (re)constituted along not superceding, but immanent lines?)Report

13. In more seriousness, I’ve already requested some of the books on interlibrary loan, and have downloaded the relevant essays from the federalist and and anti-federalists. I look forward to reading your posts.Report

14. Avatar North says:

That logo feels like it’s staring out of my screen and into my soul*. Quite striking (creepy).

*Agnostic caveat: I’m not convinced I have a soul.Report

15. Avatar Michael Cain says:

Will this symposium cover the big shift in power that occurred ~1890 when the Supreme Court decided that Congress could delegate a lot of the details of legislating to the executive branch?Report

16. Will you be talking about the shift from the Prime Minister being an equal among cabinet ministers to now dominating cabinet? Also, will you be looking at the appropriate role of the Governor General in requests for prorogue and the dissolution of Parliament?

[Realizes he is in the wrong class. Awkwardly slinks out.]Report