Sometimes The Headline Says It All

Burt Likko

Pseudonymous Portlander. Homebrewer. Atheist. Recovering Republican. Recovering Catholic. Recovering divorcé. Editor-in-Chief Emeritus of Ordinary Times. Relapsed Lawyer, admitted to practice law (under his real name) in California and Oregon. On Twitter, to his frequent regret, at @burtlikko. House Likko's Words: Scite Verum. Colite Iusticia. Vivere Con Gaudium.

1. Avatar greginak

Nail technician??? Isn’t that just a fancy name for being a carpenter? What’s next Hammer Operator? Of course both are better than being a lawyer.Report

2. Avatar Mike Schilling

We’re number 1! Though only because they forgot “left-handed relief specialist”, they guys who make six or seven figures for occasionally pitching a fraction of an inning.Report

3. Avatar Russell Saunders

We’re number eight! We’re number eight! In your face, web developers!

*struts around dining room, hoping his husband doesn’t see him and tell him how ridiculous he looks*Report

4. Avatar NewDealer

The problem with these is that they are based on semi-objective measurements but cannot and do not take into account that different people have different skills. My brain is not one that lends itself to software development even if it is a hot gig right now. Nor does it lend itself to math and engineering.

Plus wages will decrease if more people enter software and computer stuff which will make the fields less desirable.

That being said by family history and other factors I seem to be meant to be a lawyer (granddad, dad, and brother are lawyers) and I choose to enter the profession at the worst possible moment in recent histories. There have been other downswings. During my 1L year, my law school brought in a judge who said he needed to work as a house painter after law school because no one was hiring. There were stories in the 1970s of law school grads working as taxi drivers. Those crunches passed and the industry rebounded but there is always the fear that this time will be different. I’ve done okay so far but associate positions have eluded me. Recruiters don’t seem able to help. And no seems able to propose an “alternative legal career” for me like some of my classmates found. At this point, I might have to hang up my own shingle soonish and this is a scary proposition. Of course it does not help that my dad is one of super-old school advice like “Hang around court and just start introducing yourself to lawyers and saying you are available for per diem work.”Report

5. Avatar Tod Kelly

I don’t know why you’re all so focused on the lawyer part of this.

All I wanna know where I can get in on the sweet, sweet nail-technician gravy train.Report

6. Avatar Tod Kelly

Also: Nail technician is one of the five best jobs in the “social serves” industry? Really?

Look, if your ranking system puts as one of the five best careers in an industry one where the median annual income is a wee bit above the poverty line on the partial basis that it’s so “stress free” — because, you know, it’s all easy coasting when you don’t know every month if you can afford rent AND food — you might want to go back and revisit your ranking system.Report

7. Avatar Kazzy

It is interesting how far apart high school, middle school, and elementary school teacher are. I wonder how much of that is related to salary. I’d venture to guess the vast majority of the difference is, given how pay scales are weighted towards teaching older kids.Report