Stupid Tuesday questions, Erik Estrada edition

Russell Saunders

Russell Saunders is the ridiculously flimsy pseudonym of a pediatrician in New England. He has a husband, three sons, daughter, cat and dog, though not in that order. He enjoys reading, running and cooking. He can be contacted at blindeddoc using his Gmail account. Twitter types can follow him @russellsaunder1.

1. Avatar Kazzy says:

“What obscure rule or arcane guideline do you want to pass on to the ignorant masses?”

The Oxford comma. Zazzy made a holiday card for us to send out this year, now that we have Mayo to feature on it instead of our ugly mugs. Only she had it signed “Mayo, Zazzy and Kazzy”. I was so angry I almost cancelled Christmas.

But that is one many people already know and which is more of a debate than a sign of ignorance. Still, I wish everyone followed it.

Oh, one I learned the hard way is that people on the DC Metro are hardcore about the “stand to the right, move to the left” rule on escalators. See, most people rarely encounter escalators. Perhaps at the mall and maybe in a giant hotel lobby. Otherwise, they aren’t regular things for most of us and thus the need for rules seems silly. But DC’s Metro system has escalators that go on ad infinitum. If you get on at the bottom, you regularly can’t see the top. There is actually an official rule that says you’re supposed to stand on the right and move on the left. And people take it very seriously. So seriously that a group of teenagers once challenged some friends and I, all in our college years, to a fight because we failed to adhere to the rule.

So, good people of Earth, should you find yourself riding an escalator in the DC area, do not stand on the left side unless you want to be fought by a group of teenagers.Report

2. Avatar Damon says:

My understanding of a cop swerving accross several lanes of traffic is that he’s performing a solo “rolling roadblock”. One does not pass the cop but continues to maintain speed unless he’s slowing to a stop, in which case you then stop.

But then I’ve also seen cops walk out into the fast lane of a highway with no reflective vest and put their hand up to direct someone to pull over. Trying to pull someone over doing in excess of 70 in the left lane from over several hundred yards out struck me as…..shall we say “foolish”.Report

• You are the first person I’ve yet encountered who has heard of this “rolling roadblock” thing, but at least it appears that someone somewhere knows it’s a thing at all.Report

• Avatar Glyph in reply to Russell Saunders says:

I’ve definitely seen “rolling roadblocks”, but they are usually handled differently. A police car will occupy every lane and they will all drive slowly shoulder-to-shoulder, backing everybody up behind them.

Maybe the other guys called in sick that day and this dude was having to cover all lanes himself.Report

• Avatar Damon in reply to Russell Saunders says:

I could certainly see a situation where there are limited cops and there is a need to slow traffic from highway speed to something less…where this maneuver could be used…but yes, generally, it’s one cop car per lane…Report

• Avatar Kim in reply to Russell Saunders says:

Ehh… wait till you see trucks doing it.
        (That’s also sometimes directed by police, I’d figure).Report

• I have seen the one-cop rolling road block. And I’ve only seen it handled the way Damon described: stay a good distance behind the patrol car, maintaining its speed or below. Now, since the cop was going so slow that another cop could walk up to your car, that might be different. I’ve never seen them go that slow.

Usually it means some sort of VIP is in the area, and they’re only shutting the highway down briefly, though it could mean a chase somewhere, which is much more exciting than the Vice President of Estonia.Report

• Also, the one-cop versus one-cop per lane likely indicates that it was an unplanned thing.Report

• Avatar Maria in reply to Russell Saunders says:

I’ve encountered the rolling roadblock a few times. I think they use it a lot to clear debris from the freeway ahead or to open up the freeway for emergency vehicles. Maybe this is more common in California with our rather extensive freeway culture.Report

• Avatar Burt Likko in reply to Damon says:

I knew this too. There is something on the road up ahead, and traffic needs to stop so it can clear.Report

• Avatar Mike Schilling in reply to Burt Likko says:

Me too, and I’ve experienced it several times. Maybe it’s a California thing.Report

• Avatar Alan Scott in reply to Burt Likko says:

I experienced this once (also in California)–A single highway patrol car swerving across all three lanes to keep the flow of traffic slow (but not stopped). Like Russell, I had no Idea what was happening, but it was obvious from context that passing the patrol car was a bad Idea.

In this case, there was a very recent accident on the road. The patrol car was slowing traffic so other patrol cars could get into position to block the affected lanes.Report

• Avatar Patrick in reply to Burt Likko says:

It’s popular as hell in SoCal.

When I used to commute routinely (crosses self) I would hit one of those every 6-8 weeks or so. Somebody would drop a big piece of hazardous debris on the road, and two CHP officers in two cars would handle it.

One rolling roadblocks the traffic a couple of miles back, the other one zips ahead and drags whatever over to the side of the road.Report

3. Avatar Kolohe says:

I think the rule is that Massachusetts cops are unmitigated a**h*les, but I don’t think that’s obscure.Report

4. Avatar Christopher Carr says:

Very interesting. Was it a statie? If so, a strange thing happened to me the other day as well.

I was driving down Route 3 – which as you may know is rural enough that it’s okay to exceed the posted speed limit so long as you do not exceed the posted speed limit by more than 12 miles per hour. Accordingly. Two other cars and I were cluster speeding in that vein, as you do when you live sixty miles away from where you work. All of a sudden a statie blew past us at well over 90 miles an hour. This itself was not unusual. What was unusual was that it proceeded to slow down and hover in front of the three of us. None of us was phased. We knew the rules.

Then, suddenly, there was one flash of yellow – not blue – light from the state police car, and then it proceeded to peel out and continue its journey towards the more nether-regions of the cape.

Do you think they’re planning some kind of takeover? Or are they just making up signals? What’s going on here!?Report

5. Avatar J@m3z Aitch says:

1. You’re not a fool. People have mental breakdowns of one sort or another far more often than this thing occurs, I’m sure.

2. I’ve never heard of such a rule, either. I’ve seen a single policeman block traffic without doing such a weird maneuver.

3. The rule I know that almost nobody else seems to know? Students value organization in a teacher more than anything else except fairness.Report

6. Avatar Mike Schilling says:

Protip: Problems with complex electronic devices (computers, cell phones, TVs, routers, etc.) can often be fixed by turning them off and back on.Report

7. Avatar NewDealer says:

Proper bus and subway etiquette of the cities work through a very tight and easily broken social compact because you have a lot of disparate cultures that really don’t like or agree each other and we live close to each other. We solve this problem through silence largely. Though sometimes groups do try to break this compact.

Also don’t dawdle on NYC streets. Move with purpose, speed, and direction.Report

8. Avatar Peter Moore says:

I’ve seen this several times in California, and heard it called a “Traffic Break”. It can be done as a transition to a full stop (you don’t want to make drivers go from 70 to 0 all at once), or to just slow down traffic to create a temporary gap in traffic for clearing debris or move safety equipment.Report

9. Avatar Alan Scott says:

In Monopoly, property that a player chooses not to buy is put to auction and sold to the highest bidder. It’s a rule that nobody follows that makes a terrible game marginally less terrible.Report

10. Avatar dragonfrog says:

Could also have been that when Superintendent Lewis is hammered again he needs to be taken home to sleep it off, while his car gets taken back to the precinct by someone sober, they need civilians far enough away that there are no witnesses.

Clearly, this will not be a rule that’s actually on the books, since nowhere will it actually be written down that cops are above the law – so it’s fair you didn’t know.Report

11. Avatar Pinky says:

Anyone else ever honk at a cop car when he’s driving badly? As far as I’m concerned, if you don’t have your lights on, you’re another driver. Don’t cut me off.Report

12. Avatar Mrs. Likko says:

Regarding “What little bit of advice did you wish everyone heeded?”, while living in TN with Burt, we encountered emergency vehicles screaming down the roads, lights flashing, sirens a blaring but the locals would not pull over.

Funeral processions were the only exception. Apparently once someone is dead then TN drivers become respectful. If there is an ounce of life still left in ya, hopefully God sees fit to get you to the hospital before you expire. If not, rest assured, once your corpse is in the hearse those TN drives will kindly let you pass.Report

13. Protip: “Clique” is not pronounced “click”.Report