Virtual Musical Advent Calendar, December 3 : Baby It’s Cold Outside

Tod Kelly

Tod is a writer from the Pacific Northwest. He is also serves as Executive Producer and host of both the 7 Deadly Sins Show at Portland's historic Mission Theatre and 7DS: Pants On Fire! at the White Eagle Hotel & Saloon. He is  a regular inactive for Marie Claire International and the Daily Beast, and is currently writing a book on the sudden rise of exorcisms in the United States. Follow him on Twitter.

1. Avatar LeeEsq

“Baby It’s Cold Outside” is a song that people take way too seriously. Every Christmas, you can find debates on the internet on whether or not the song is a “pro-rape” song because the man or wolf is trying to convince the woman or mouse (shouldn’t be cat and mouse or wolf and deer, as far as I know wolves and mice do not interact in nature) to stay the night rather than respect her wishes to leave. I recognize that consent is of absolute importance and that there is a fine, thin line between consensual seduction and immoral sexual activity but really. Sometimes intellectuals tend to over analyze things.Report

2. Avatar Reformed Republican

Sometimes intellectuals tend to over analyze things.

Isn’t that the whole point of our comment section here?Report

3. Avatar J@m3z Aitch

Tod, I’m really enjoying the historical perspective on these songs. Thanks much; these are great.Report

4. Avatar NewDealer

Excellent post Tod.

I humbly request entries on

1. Father Christmas by the Kinks

2. Fairytale of New York by the Pogues

3. Merry Christmas (I Don’t Want to Fight) by the RamonesReport

5. Avatar Mike Schilling

the now-classic rendition by Ella Fitzgerald and Louis Jordan.

Which made the implied sex interracial. Consider my mind blown.Report

6. Avatar Mark Thompson

Can’t believe I missed this entry in the Advent calendar. But, Tod, no reference to the Louis Armstrong/Velma Midleton version? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ZBFk-Y-4Jo

For shame.Report