Crew Wanted for a Journey Down the East Coast on Mon Tiki

David Ryan

David Ryan is a boat builder and USCG licensed master captain. He is the owner of Sailing Montauk and skipper of Montauk''s charter sailing catamaran MON TIKI You can follow him on Twitter @CaptDavidRyan

1. Avatar Burt Likko

Natasha and I will be in Florida in the late winter to visit with family, about 100 miles south of Cape Canaveral. Any idea if Mon Tiki will be that far south and if so when? Because I have some flexibility on the timing…Report

• Avatar David Ryan in reply to Burt Likko

I tell people if you want to use a sailboat as transportation you have to get into a 19th century mind-set, as in “The tradewinds never set that year so we didn’t make it home till 2014.”

That said, I think Mon Tiki you will be in more or less the same place at the same time. Looking forward to taking you and yours for a ride!Report

2. Avatar Russell Saunders

Ah, well.

You will not be heading north. And I am north of you.

Ah, well.Report

• Avatar David Ryan in reply to Russell Saunders

This is one of the sacrifices of my currently, admittedly blessed circumstance. Just yesterday I was noting that my yet hoped for circumnavigation of Newfoundland will have to wait until such a time that I am not indentured to Mon Tiki during the summer months.Report

3. Avatar Lyle

Not that I can make it, but I assume your going thru the Canal south of Norfolk that Washington surveyed thru the great dismal swamp. (Dismal Swamp Canal). It is interesting that once upon a time a canal existed across NJ, and the ICW was supposed to follow it but there were not sufficient funds.Report

4. Avatar North