Saturday!

Jaybird

1. Avatar Vikram Bath

Rocksmith is incredible. It doesn’t teach you nearly everything, but it does teach you something, and that something is applicable to an activity that has value independent of computers.

Luckily, I don’t think GTA teaches you anything.Report

2. Avatar Maribou

I am not playing anything because you, Jaybird, are the only person I feel comfortable pestering for help on FB games. But we will be playing board games tonight!

Also, just to put this down on our permanent record, the reason I would be playing bass on Rocksmith is because UNLIKE SOME PEOPLE, I got rhythm. And not for any other reason. *gives Jaybird The Look*Report

3. Avatar Hoosegow Flask

My 6 y/o daughter surprised me and said she wanted a guitar for Christmas, soon after I saw a blurb about Rocksmith on Steam. I might end up getting both this season.Report

• Avatar Jaybird in reply to Hoosegow Flask

Here, let me sell it juuust a little bit more:

The first thing Rocksmith does is help you tune the guitar.Report

• Avatar Cascadian in reply to Hoosegow Flask

Well, Kid and I played this yesterday. It wasn’t as fun and as engaging as I’d hope. I still might make it through with enough discipline for it to do some good. Still, not as entertaining as it should be.

I haven’t figured out how to use more than one profile without logging in on a different PS account. There also doesn’t seem to be a way to easily reset difficulty levels. That means that if you level up on a game, you can’t reset it for your little one.

I’m not sure this is worth the eighty bucks for the game. I’m not ready to trash it, but my expectations sure have lowered.Report

• Avatar Jaybird in reply to Cascadian

Oooh, that’s troublesome. I learn much more slowly than Maribou does…Report

• Avatar Reformed Republican in reply to Cascadian

I think you are right about the difficulty in changing profiles. The game is also available on PC. For the original Rocksmith, there were latency issues on the PS3. This was worse when using an HDMI cable. The best solution was supposed to be using external speakers, though I did not have external speakers to use.

I ended up getting a PC copy. The latency was reduced to a more tolerable level. It is also easy to change profiles.

I enjoyed it well enough, but I realized I did not want to be a rock guitarist. I prefer country blues finger style, and related styles, so the software does not get much use.Report

• Avatar BlaiseP in reply to Hoosegow Flask

Starting a kid on a guitar that early is kinda troublesome. A standard guitar is too big. If you want an electric, I’d look at one of those little Ibanez MiKro guitars. Only I’d replace the pickups and put in a better volume knob. Check the fretting, too. Report

4. Avatar Mike Schilling

There’s this paper-and-pencil game I used to play when I was little. You and I each choose a five-letter word. Then we alternate guessing five-letter words, and are told “this many letters match at the same position, this many letters matches at a different position” (like, if your word is “parka” and I guess “racks”, that’s two at the same position and one at another one.) Whoever guesses the other person’s word first wins.

It turns out there’s a “You guess the computer’s word” version of this game for the Roku. Very addictive.Report

5. Avatar Fnord

Typing of the Dead, despite the best efforts of the adults in my life, did not teach me to touch-type. MMOs taught me to touch-type.

I’ve been playing Europa Universalis IV. It’s teaching me the significance of the Panama and Suez canals.Report

6. Avatar Reformed Republican

This weekend, my son talked me into taking advantage of a buy 2 get 1 free sale at Gamestop. I got myself a copy of Darksiders II. It is a combination of the wall running of Prince of Persia, combat of God of War, and dungeons from Legend of Zelda. I have only put in a couple hours, but so far, so good. I will have to see how it holds up at higher levels. If I can learn to stop trying to use the right analog stick to dodge roll, I will be in good shape.

I am also most of the way through Nightmare level of Diablo 3. I do not know if I will stick around through Hell and Inferno, now that I have started another game to distract me.Report

7. Avatar North

Divinity Dragon Commander.. oddly not as replayable as one would think.Report

8. Avatar Boegiboe

There are two versions of Rocksmith, the most recent one, Rocksmith 2014, having just come out. I think I’m going to like the new version better, but I kinda miss the scoring of the older one.

For me, the reason Rocksmith was such a game-changer in learning guitar was that it gave me something difficult enough to focus on that I could ignore the pain in my fingertips until I got calluses.

The most satisfaction I got was the very few times I got a song to “Master level,” at which time you can play in Master Mode, where it doesn’t tell you what notes to play. You just have to do the whole song from memory along with the other tracks. It’s a great feeling because, the fact is, you are not playing a video game anymore. You are just practicing a song on your guitar.Report