A Book for Every Type

J.L. Wall

J.L. Wall is a native Kentuckian in self-imposed exile to the Midwest, where he teaches writing to college students and over-analyzes Leonard Cohen lyrics.

1. Avatar Burt Likko says:

I am going to have to dig hard to reverse-engineer justifications for my perfect book being Atlas Shrugged. It’s… not. Weirdly judgmental and narcissistically assholish Randian politico-philosophy aside, the endless, repetitive, preachy, repetitive, tedious, repetitive speechifying is just plain boring.

You can’t make me read it again without holding a gun to my head like Wesley Mouch, and I won’t do it on my own.

I’m on record as my favorite book being Neal Stephenson’s Baroque Cycle (technically eight books in one, but what the hey).Report

• Avatar Glyph says:

Did you ever read Cryptonomicon? If not, you should, because it’s awesome.Report

• Avatar BlaiseP says:

If you’ve read Cryptonomicon, you ought to go on and read Baroque Cycle.Report

• Avatar Burt Likko says:

I consider Cryptonomicon part of The Baroque Cycle. It’s part prequel having come first chronologically from the author’s desk, part sequel coming later in history, part reshuffling with descendants of the Baroque characters still interacting and displaying shuffled personality traits of their ancestors, and part continuation of the exploration of the audacity of new ideas.Report

• Avatar Glyph says:

I did read Baroque Cycle, but I liked Cryptonomicon better. I consider it my first “real” Neal Stephenson book (Snow Crash was fun, but Cryptonomicon blew my mind).Report

• Avatar Tod Kelly says:

“I’m on record as my favorite book being Neal Stephenson’s Baroque Cycle (technically eight books in one, but what the hey).”

Typical ENTJ. Taking eight books for yourself while the rest of us just get one.Report

2. Avatar KatherineMW says:

I’m an ISTJ/ISTP (it’s pretty close), but my preferred reading leans heavily towards speculative fiction (along with certain literary classics). Realism and practicality are for work, but relaxation demands a break from that.

I may check out The Gunslinger, though.Report

3. Avatar Tod Kelly says:

Yay! I get Keri Russell!!!

Oh wait, that’s Karen Russell. Hmmmm……Report

4. Avatar Vikram Bath says:

Hey! I’m an INTP too!

And I’m a Huxley fan as well. I wasn’t aware that might have anything to do with my personality type though.Report

5. Avatar Michael Drew says:

What’s the type where it’s littered with several old, not crossed-out to-do lists?Report