Sunday!

Jaybird

1. Avatar Maribou

still working on gould’s book of fish. in the meantime, have read a couple more nz fantasy novels and two nonfiction sports books by dave bidini (in addition to being a kickass musician – which I knew – he also writes books! and has been for more than a decade! most exciting discovery of the week.) one is called tropic of hockey and the other one home and away. highly recommended to people who like reading books about sports (i had almost forgotten i was one of you), especially if you like books with a broader social / travel context.

been watching babylon 5 season 1 again. ep. 11 and 12 last night.Report

2. Avatar Glyph

I had been putting off Homeland S3 because S2 made some questionable choices, and the show can be such a downer.

But I caught up last night and it was solid (if, definitely, a downer). So I am looking forward to tonight.

Last week’s Eastbound & Down was out of control. That show tickles every juvenile funnybone I’m deeply embarrassed to own.

Rewatched the first 4 eps of Hannibal with friends, and continued to marvel at the production and sound design details. A character in the first ep has a wrought-iron headboard whose shape strongly resembles antlers.

No time for reading this week 🙁Report

3. Avatar Jason Tank

I’ve been watching Archer. That show is hilarious. I need to find season four somehow.Report

4. Avatar KatherineMW

Re-watched Looper on DVD. That’s a seriously good movie – I’m still annoyed that it didn’t get some Oscar nominations, as it was easily better and more creative than some of the other nominees (e.g., Silver Linings Playbook).

Also finished Season 1 of Babylon 5. I’d forgotten how impressive the season finale is.Report

• Avatar Glyph in reply to KatherineMW

@katherinemw – OK, before I ask these Looper questions, let it be known that I was extremely tired and buzzed and I may have dozed a teeny bit when I watched it. So maybe these glaring plot holes were explained.

But:

1.) Gur ragver cerzvfr bs gur zbivr vf gung va gur shgher, zheqref ner uneq gb pbzzvg & obqvrf ner rkgerzryl uneq gb qvfcbfr bs fheercgvgvbhfyl. Urapr, tbvat gb gur gebhoyr bs gvzr-geniry. Lrg, Oehpr Jvyyvf’ jvsr va gur shgher vf xvyyrq ol gur zbo, jvgu nccneragyl ab ercrephffvbaf. Fb…JUL ner gurl tbvat gb gur gebhoyr bs gvzr-geniry ntnva?

2.) Jbhyqa’g vg znxr zber frafr gb pybfr gur ybbcf ol “pebffvat gur fgernzf”, fb gb fcrnx? Qba’g fraq Byq Uvgzna N onpx sbe Lbhat Uvgzna N gb xvyy (fvapr gurer’f nyjnlf gur punapr bs fbzrguvat tbvat jebat, yvxr Lbhat N erpbtavmvat naq ershfvat gb xvyy Byq N); fraq Byq Uvgzna N onpx gb Lbhat Uvgzna O (naq, fraq Byq Uvgzna O onpx gb Lbhat Uvgzna N). Jbhyqa’g gung or pyrnare naq yrff evfxl?

V yvxrq gur zbivr BX, naq jbhyq npghnyyl yvxr gb frr vg ntnva, ohg gurfr 2 guvatf ohttrq zr dhvgr n ovg. Gurer jrer bgure guvatf gbb, ohg gurl jrer gur abezny fbeg bs cnenqbkl gvzr-geniry fghss lbh nyjnlf trg va gurfr zbivrf.

Ohg gur gjb nobir ernyyl qba’g unir nalguvat gb qb jvgu gvzr-geniry.Report

• Avatar Jason Tank in reply to Glyph

Gurer’f abguvat va gur zbivr gung nqqerffrf gubfr dhrfgvbaf qverpgyl. Zl orfg thrff sbe #1 jbhyq or gung vg bayl nccyvrf gb “jryy-xabja” uvgf, gung gurl jbhyq unir na boivbhf pbaarpgvba gb. Gur jvsr unq ab zbo gvrf, naq fvapr ure uhfonaq qvfnccrnerq jura fur qvrq, gur nhgubevgvrf pbhyq rnfvyl nffhzr ur xvyyrq ure naq syrq. Gurl zvtug cynl gung fbeg bs tnzr jvgu gurve bgure uvgf, gbb. Xvyy fbzr eryngvirf, gura “qvfnccrne” n yvxryl fhfcrpg vagb gur cnfg.

Nf sbe #2… znlor fbzr fbeg bs pbqr bs ubabe jbhyq cerirag gurz sebz qvfzrzorevat na “vaabprag” ybbcre orpnhfr nabgure bar fperjrq hc gurve wbo.Report

• Avatar KatherineMW in reply to Glyph

Regarding Question 2, Rian Johnson considered having Abe complain that the future bosses are too set in their ways, and should replace the current system with the system that you mention. I think Johnson ultimately just didn’t want to take up too much of the movie expositing over any plot inconsistency people could find, and preferred to focus on telling the story. The way things are set up has better symmetry.Report

• Avatar Reformed Republican in reply to KatherineMW

I have avoided watching ahead on B5. I like the viewing to be fresh when the recap comes up. It is also interesting watching with a pace more akin to how it would have been viewed initially, instead of tearing through an episode or two every night.Report

5. Avatar Just Me

Just got back from another wonderful day traveling the back roads and listening to the Pack win another one. I see I left a bunch of points on the bench again this weekend. Such is life.Report

6. Avatar aaron david

Reading Gene Wolfes “Peace”, and I have recorded the first two episodes of Young Doctors Notebook.Report

7. Avatar Will Truman

I finished Season 2 of Homeland. It’s not the series I wanted it to be. I wanted it to be more like Rubicon. Suspenseful, understated, more cerebral/psychological. Then again, Homeland is on its third season and Rubicon was cancelled after one, so I think they made the right choice.Report

8. Avatar Reformed Republican

I have made it through 3 episodes of The Wire. I think I mentioned it before, but I am watching more slowly, since I am giving the show my full attention. The show definitely has my interest. I have a feeling D’Angelo’s little chess lesson is going to turn out to be an encapsulation of the first season, if not the entire series.

On the other hand, I tore through several episodes of Supernatural and the entire Season 1 of Parks and Recreation while occupied with other things.Report

• Avatar Glyph in reply to Reformed Republican

If you’ve made it through S1 of Parks, you’re in for a treat, because now it gets good.Report

• Avatar Reformed Republican in reply to Glyph

That is good to hear. I enjoyed it, but I was not blown away.

Does Leslie Knope become less of a Michael Scott clone and develop more of her own personality?Report

• Avatar Kim in reply to Glyph

RR,
        I’d say so. (not that I’ve seen the Office, so…).
        Apparently after the first season, they got a lot of feedback that caused them to make Leslie less ditzy and more competent.

Also: you know that girl who wrote up twenty page backstories for her D&D Characters? Retta’s was actually fabulous enough that they ran with it (she plays Donna).Report

• Avatar Glyph in reply to Glyph

To me S1 was a bit of a slog. The writing and actors/characters really started to gel in S2 (plus they really start making Pawnee into a Springfield, where there are all these minor oddball recurring characters and bits of weird history).

Never watched the American Office so I can’t compare to that, but they usually mine more comedy from Knope’s relentless positivity/desire to do good, than from her being selfish/inappropriate or anything (I’m thinking of David Brent).Report

• Avatar Kazzy in reply to Glyph

@reformed-republican

Absolutely. Her character really shines on a number of levels and is one of the more fleshed out female characters on TV.Report

9. Avatar Tod Kelly

Am reading Soon I Will Be Invincible, which is pretty delightful brain candy; am also reading Jonathan Letham’s Dissident Gardens, which is pretty brilliant brain veggies.

Have started to watch the TV show Revolution on Netflix, which is to the Tea Party what the X-Files was to alien abduction conspiracy theorists. The good guys are simple country folk who are the real Americans, fighting against a tyrannical government run by a charismatic but evil man who looks to take away his citizens’ guns so he can create a brownshirt army armed with drones that mostly attacks his own citizenry. It doesn’t say who the President was when the United States conspired against its people so and made the USA a totalitarian nightmare, but you get the feeling that of course it was Obama.

Like the X-Files, Revolution shows that even if they make lousy public policy, conspiracy theories make for really entertaining storytelling. I’m really enjoying it in all of its campy, JJ Abrams-ish fun.Report