Huh. I was wrong.

Jaybird

1. Avatar Mike Schilling says:

Fishing Larry Ellison fishing losing the fishing America’s Cup. He’s fishing won 7 races in a row to tie the fishing thing.Report

2. Avatar Patrick says:

Depends on when you asked me, I guess. In 1984 I thought we were going to have a nuclear war before I was twenty. That’s a pretty morbid thought for a newly minted teenager.

I still can’t believe that real estate prices are what they are. They don’t make any goddamn sense. I don’t even think I can figure out who to blame or thank for that, really.Report

• Avatar Mike Schilling says:

I was convinced that the Soviet Union wouldn’t allow German reunification under any circumstances short of losing a war over it, right up until it happened.Report

• Avatar Will Truman says:

I was convinced that Osama Bin Laden was already dead until we killed him.Report

• Avatar Glyph says:

I was convinced that Osama Bin Laden was already dead until we killed him.

THAT’S JUST WHAT THEY WANT YOU TO THINK

(Me too, actually).Report

• Avatar Michael Drew says:

+1 to Glyph.

I don’t agree with Will at all on it, but if I did suspect that was the case, I don’t see what about the information actually made public in that episode would convince me I was mistaken.Report

• Avatar Will Truman says:

My theory was thus: OBL was dead. The government knew that he was probably dead, but lacked proof. In the absence of proof, they would rather let it be assumed that he was alive and turn out to be wrong than to declare him dead and turn out to be proven wrong. So, just as I didn’t think the government was out-and-out lying about it, I didn’t think that they would stage a fake raid in Pakistan to “kill” him.Report

• Avatar Kazzy says:

“I still can’t believe that real estate prices are what they are. They don’t make any goddamn sense.”

You think they’re too high? Or too low? Where do you think they’re going/should be going?Report

3. Avatar Burt Likko says:

I was convinced for the longest time that Britney Spears would fall into one or more very messy public sex scandals, and shortly afterwards become Born Again in a very public sort of way, disavowing the sex-kitten-like ways of her past.

The scandals have happened. But not the overt piety.

Yet.Report

4. Avatar Damon says:

I did, and still do, predict the long term collapse of the american empire. My timeline is just being extended…..Report

• Avatar Reformed Republican says:

On a long enough timeline, all empires crumble.

Two of my coworkers have a bet over whether or not America will fall by a certain year. They have very specific criteria, though I do not remember them all. One was going into default, I believe.Report

5. Avatar Kolohe says:

I thought Ted Cruz would wrap up speaking about 1 or 2 o’clock in the morning.Report

6. There are several celebrities on this side of the grass who I would have bet would be elsewhere in that arrangement by now.Report

7. Avatar Dick Cheney says:

I thought the war on terror would be won by now.

(Thanks a lot, Obama!)Report

8. Avatar RichardS says:

Looking at the list in the OP, I notice that these are all some form of economic apocalypse…. it’s funny how as a culture we trusts economists more than scientists…Report

9. Avatar KatherineMW says:

I thought Gitmo would be closed and some tamping-down on the US government’s security obsession and indiscriminate spying on its citizens. I thought the US would have pulled out of Afghanistan within 1-2 years of killing bin Laden. I though I’d be able to stop being frightened of the leviathan south of the border.

(Thanks a lot, Obama!)Report

10. Avatar KatherineMW says:

I thought I’d be working in Palestine right now.

(Thanks a lot, occupation forces on a border you have no rightful authority over.)Report

11. Avatar NewDealer says:

A job with benefits and vacation and everything.Report