Huh. I was wrong.

Jaybird

1. Avatar Mike Schilling

Fishing Larry Ellison fishing losing the fishing America’s Cup. He’s fishing won 7 races in a row to tie the fishing thing.Report

2. Avatar Chris

Flying cars.Report

3. Avatar Patrick

Depends on when you asked me, I guess. In 1984 I thought we were going to have a nuclear war before I was twenty. That’s a pretty morbid thought for a newly minted teenager.

I still can’t believe that real estate prices are what they are. They don’t make any goddamn sense. I don’t even think I can figure out who to blame or thank for that, really.Report

4. Avatar Burt Likko

I was convinced for the longest time that Britney Spears would fall into one or more very messy public sex scandals, and shortly afterwards become Born Again in a very public sort of way, disavowing the sex-kitten-like ways of her past.

The scandals have happened. But not the overt piety.

Yet.Report

5. Avatar Damon

I did, and still do, predict the long term collapse of the american empire. My timeline is just being extended…..Report

6. Avatar Kolohe

I thought Ted Cruz would wrap up speaking about 1 or 2 o’clock in the morning.Report

7. Avatar Russell Saunders

There are several celebrities on this side of the grass who I would have bet would be elsewhere in that arrangement by now.Report

8. Avatar Dick Cheney

I thought the war on terror would be won by now.

(Thanks a lot, Obama!)Report

9. Avatar RichardS

Looking at the list in the OP, I notice that these are all some form of economic apocalypse…. it’s funny how as a culture we trusts economists more than scientists…Report

10. Avatar KatherineMW

I thought Gitmo would be closed and some tamping-down on the US government’s security obsession and indiscriminate spying on its citizens. I thought the US would have pulled out of Afghanistan within 1-2 years of killing bin Laden. I though I’d be able to stop being frightened of the leviathan south of the border.

(Thanks a lot, Obama!)Report

11. Avatar KatherineMW

I thought I’d be working in Palestine right now.

(Thanks a lot, occupation forces on a border you have no rightful authority over.)Report

12. Avatar NewDealer

A job with benefits and vacation and everything.Report