How My Daughter Taught Me to Love Myth-Making

Kyle Cupp

Kyle Cupp is a freelance writer who blogs about culture, philosophy, politics, postmodernism, and religion. He is a inactive to the group Catholic blog Vox Nova. Kyle lives with his wife, son, and daughter in North Texas. Follow him on Facebook and Twitter.

1. Avatar Sarah says:

Beautiful Kyle! Love and prayers to you and your family! Happy Birthday Vivian!Report

2. Avatar North says:

There are no words that suffice. I wish your family all the best.Report

3. Avatar zic says:

Vivien. This morning, I was doing some research to help name my next design, based on Oak Leaves, and I came across the name ‘Vivien.” She was Merlin’s love, also his student. She entrapped him in a tower/oak, malice or saving vary by the tale. She represents confidence, strength, and doors or passages from here to elsewhere.

Thank you, Kyle. She lives in your heart, in your celebration. That’s a powerful thing, a loving thing. I lost sisters, one two years older, one two years younger, both living only a few days. I still celebrate their brief lives, and recognize the whole in my life growing up in a gaggle of boys, that might have been filled with things girl. We build our personal myths and our legends; they sustain us, comfort us, and with retelling, reveal new insight into our folly and our wisdom.

A few drawn breaths, a single cry — those can be a life’s work. And worth celebrating.Report

4. Avatar Jaybird says:

Turning the worst thing in the world into a reason is awfully humbling. Thanks.Report

5. Avatar BlaiseP says:

Ceremony gives substance to memory. Out of the strong came forth sweetness. Jaybird has it right, I think.Report

6. Avatar Kazzy says:

Best to you and your family, Kyle.

During a time where no one would question you turning inward — to yourself, to your family, to your faith — you have turned outward ever so to offer this to us. That you are able to give during a time in which I am sure there is great need for you and yours, is a testament to both the man that you are and the person that your daughter was and continues to be. Her ability to inspire and to live on through you is undeniable.Report